Saturday, 8 January 2011

Book Review No 1!

I wonder if it’s possible to do a book review a week in 2011? That would mean I would have to read 52 books this year…Oh well you know me, anything to please…

untitled

Mark your calendar. It's the Christmas Cookie Club! Every year on the first Monday of December, Marnie and her twelve closest girlfriends gather in the evening with batches of beautifully wrapped homemade cookies. Everyone has to bring a dish, a bottle of wine, and their stories. This year, the stories are especially important. Marnie's oldest daughter has a risky pregnancy. Will she find out tonight how that story might end? Jeannie's father is having an affair with her best friend. Who else knew about the betrayal, and how can that be forgiven or forgotten, even among old friends such as these? Rosie's husband doesn't want children, and she has to decide, very soon, whether or not that's a deal breaker for the marriage. Taylor's life is in financial freefall. Each woman, each friend has a story to tell, and they are all interwoven, just as their lives are.

On this evening, at least, they can feel as a group the impulses of sisterly love and conflict, the passion and hopefulness of a new romance, the betrayal and disillusionment some relationships bring, the joys and fears of motherhood, the agony of losing a child, and above all, the love they have for one another. As Marnie says, the Christmas Cookie Club, if it's anything, is a reminder of delight.

First 5 sentences..I am the Head Cookie Bitch and this is my party.  The cookie club is always on the first Monday of December.  Mark it on your calendar.  Twelve of us gather with thirteen dozen cookies wrapped in packages.  Homemade of course.

Where I got my hands on it.. A Christmas pressie from my mum & dad.

The cover...What a wonderful Christmassy feel, it’s obviously been re packaged as the book was first published in Oct 2009..the  alternative covers I found on google just didn’t have the same feel!

Made me want to..Be the Head Cookie Bitch of my own Cookie Club.

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?..My Mum has requested to read this one next…(you know those people that come to the hospital & bring grapes & chocs, then sit eating them themselves…?…just saying…)

If you can get hold of a copy of this….enjoy!!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting. I'm a bit of a sucker for a good book cover, even though you obviously shouldn't judge one by it!! I'm jealous of your real fire by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, may need to add this to my ever growing book list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I look forward to review #2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is ridiculous how many books I have on my to read list. That looks like a goody!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your birthday wishes! So funny that you came to me via Canada (Erin's) when we are both in Suffolk!

    Snape Maltings really is one of my favourite places especially at this time of year when it is quiet. A bit like Aldeburgh too - that was deserted this week.

    Wishing you a great weekend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi
    I've just stumbled upon your blog by way of 'Topchelseagirl' over at How Soon is Now.
    We chose the Christmas Cookie Club as our Christmas book at book club (total membership: 3). I really, really enjoyed it and I'm so glad to see you did too. And aren't you so tempted to set up a cookie club?!
    Justine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love book reviews! Just added this to my to read list :)

    ReplyDelete