Thursday, 20 January 2011

Minimal Living. Or not.

image3

I admit. I’m no fan of the trendy ‘minimal living’. You know, clean lines, uncluttered work surfaces, tables with a strategically placed vase of freshly cut flowers…and very little else.

It could be an age thing (yeah cos i’m sooo old) but I have noticed, that with a lot of my friends that are younger than me, their house is of the minimal variety. Whereas most of my older friends have gone for the ‘lived in’ look.

1

Maybe it’s because as you get older you accumulate more stuff. Or maybe you care less when you get older. I like to have a lot of my stuff around me. Books. Magazines. Notepads. My bag ready to pick up and go. A half eaten packet of biscuits ready for the next cup of tea. I like to have cosy throws draped over my sofas.

imagesCA93TLKO

I want to ask..if you go for the minimal look..’ where’s all your stuff!?’ Do you hide it in cupboards? Isn’t it tiring moving it all out of sight?

What do you think? is the 'Lived in' look just an excuse for not being a domestic goddess? Or is Minimal living just a way of having nothing to actually dust?

Just wondering, sat surrounded by my stuff in front of the fire….

14 comments:

  1. I actully like the minimal look but will never be something we have. lol Husband is just not that tiddy and well I refuse to spend my evenings cleaning up so that my house looks like a show room. We have a pretty comfy home. It's lived in and random. Just like us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean by this. I love the minimial look and I just always clean out stuff that I don't need and don't buy stuff that I will never use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, can't do minimal; haven't got enough cupboards to hide everything I've got. My sister-in-law has a very minimal style and it only takes her a miniscule amount of time to vacuum and dust because there's nothing to move first! However, when we went to stay with her she didn't even have needle and thread to mend a small split in her trousers (I did in my handbag! - and I mended them for her). She was going to throw them away. And when my suitcase strap broke on the journey there, she didn't have anything (not even string) to wrap around it for the journey home! How can you live without string?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a lot of stuff, yet I love the minimal look! I currently have 3 book shelves in my little room. There is no space in here. I should clean it out, but I'm still using every thing! haha.


    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I was minimal with my home more because I have things everywhere and I want to be neater. I think too much chaos around me makes me feel frazzled.

    P.S. And I'm a stationery addict :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's pretty, but it just doesn't work with my lifestyle. The dude would destroy the clean look in no time flat. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definately the lived in look here - basically because its easier to maintain and I like having my things where I can see them.

    BTW you asked several posts ago where the fair was - Southwold on 27/2 @ St Georges Hall - organised by Greenpeace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definately lived in, in fact my house has a bad case of piles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for being so sweet to me.
    Have a lovely weekend.


    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah I tend to be somewhere in between. I think the minimal look can LOOK nice but for real life I just don't know how it can be accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a minimal look fan. I love a cosy, full of stuff house :)

    <3
    K

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I actually know anyone with a house with a minimal look, which makes me wonder if it's just something you see in magazines and on telly programmes. And if you know your house is going to be filmed or photographed, you make sure it's tidy don't you. Surely even they have a pile of post waiting to be opened, a pair of muddy wellies and a basket of laundry waiting to be folded?
    I much prefer the 'fuller house' look. It makes it more personal and gives an idea of someone's life. It makes it a home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it has a lot to do with personality... A neat-freak person will have the least amount of clutter possible because otherwise it looks "messy". Also, families with young kids??? Less stuff to pull down, fall on, or break. I like in between. Modern, but decorated and lived in!

    ReplyDelete