Sunday, 6 February 2011

Affairs & Murder..Book review no 5!

I’m so enjoying this challenge I’ve set myself, lets see if I can keep it up in Feb!!

This is what I’ve been reading this week..

p 

Would you reveal a secret that might solve a murder but would ruin your life? Ginnie Holmes has found something she never intended to find - an overwhelming passion for a man she should not be with. And they have found somewhere to meet - an abandoned boathouse hidden on the riverbank of the Thames. Then, in a single terrifying event, the lovers' secret becomes a deadly catastrophe. A woman is found murdered at the river's edge, just near the river house. And Ginnie finds herself in the path of extraordinary danger, not only facing the exposure and grief that she has feared, but endangering herself and everyone she loves.

First 5 sentences..He’s building a wall of Lego.  There’s no sound but the click as he slots the bricks together, and his rapid, fluttery breathing.  His face is white as wax.  I know he’s very afraid.  ‘You’re building something’ I say.

Where I got my hands on it.. My sis bought me this for Christmas. I’ve never read anything by this author before, and it’s not a book that I would have chose off the shelf, which is probably exactly why she chose it..she knew I wouldn’t have it already!

The cover..would never have grabbed my attention had I been choosing a book..

Made me want to….NEVER have an affair!!!! not that I would have before reading this lol

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?..This is going in the pile I swap with a friend, as i think it would be her kind of book.

This book was a bit slow to start. It’s the kind of book I think I should be enjoying reading more than I actually am. Do you get that? It’s well written, about a lady who has found herself in a loveless marriage, trudging though her boring every day life..until she meets HIM. Then she seems to turn into someone else. I never get that. How you can be with someone all those years, have 2 children, then turn into someone completely different. I didn’t like the main character much. I waited till about half way through until I got to the interesting bit..then I just knew what would happen as it did, which isn’t always a bad thing… but here for me it was. I thought the write up on the back (above) made the book appear a lot more exciting than it was.

Any one read this, or anything else by this author?

Sorry, bit of a downer this week, hope I find a better one to read next! Off to the bookshelves……

What are you all reading?

9 comments:

  1. It sounds like an interesting book and I too probably wouldn't have picked it up if I saw it in store.

    I find books that start slow hard to trudge through but I love it when it gets to the good parts and I can't stop reading.

    I'm re reading the Percy Jackson books :p Something light and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a good thriller! A genre I have not read too much, but does interest me. I am not reading anything at the moment. I need to get my butt in gear!

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounded intriguing at first, but what you said about it being slow-going and then being able to work out what was going on, would have put me off too!
    I'm reading The Stabbing in the Stables by simon Brett - one of the many, many, many (cozy) crime/mystery books which I seem to be addicted to at the moment.
    Look forward to your next review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, sounds like it could be interesting although a bummer that it's a slow start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Claire thanks for visiting our blog.
    I'm reading 'The Winter Ghosts' by Kate Mosse...very apt for the time of year, I think.
    Noreen has just read 'Major Pettigrew's Last Stand' by Helen Simonson. She's given it to me to read. You've never seen a book in such a state...looks like it's been round a thousand charity shops but was bought new. She says she's done everything to it apart from stamp on it!
    Love Ironbridge, by the way...we're not too far so have a day out there fairly often.
    Margaret (and Noreen)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE all your book reviews!!♥♥♥ This sounds interesting and I agree, it wouldn't be something I would pick up but this sounds interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOSH! Your review gripped me! I think I would love this book, but I'm not sure if I could get through it because it sounds like the kind of thing that would make me all jittery inside : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. i lovvvvvvvvvvvve your blog header! a book i just read is The Kite Runner... seriously love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished "Orange is the New Black," By Piper Kerman, it's a memoir from her year in a minimum security women's prison. Would recommend!

    Now reading "The Happiness Project."

    ReplyDelete