Sunday, 13 February 2011

Book Review No. 6!! (And a little Treat coming soon)

After the slightly disappointing book from last weeks review, I looked for a light hearted easy to read one, from my stash for this week.

I read a lot of books of this nature, chic lit, easy reading, and this one does just as it says on the tin.

untitled b

It’s official. Hannah has left her friends and family in the US behind and is following her dream. To live in London. Unfortunately she's completely unprepared for what's in store. She’s going to find: 1. Her dream guy. A prince or Hugh Grant would be nice. Or does she have to settle for her half-naked Australian housemate or an "English gentleman" with terrible hygiene habits? 2. Her dream job. Something fantastic in fashion. So how has she ended up being the mini-me for an evil party planner who doesn’t even trust her to arrange the paperclips? 3. Her dream friends. But everyone in London seems to have known each other for years and Hannah’s having trouble getting to know nice people. Who’s she going to have fun with? Dream life? Should Hannah just dream on? Maybe it would have been simpler and cheaper to just get a new haircut. Was she mad to move 3,000 miles away from everyone she knows? Will she ever find love and her perfect life in England?

First 5 sentences..every other store front is a sandwich shop without  a low-carb advertisement in sight.  Are Londoners really willing to embrace the doughy delights of an Atkins-free world? It’s a thrilling prospect for a girl raised in a culture plagued by cellulite bogey-men.  The customers are directing the deli man with the nervous efficiency of Starbucks regulars babbling coffee instructions. ‘Next.’

Where I got my hands on it.. I’m not sure how long I’ve had this book, I bought it from a charity shop (i can tell because it has the price of 90p in pencil on the front inside cover) it’s very well read (read a bit dog eared) .

The cover.. Typical chic-lit cover, nice fun drawing, kind of cartoonish with lovely girly colours that you know are gonna look good on your bed side table, or maybe that’s just me..

Made me want to…Go to London! I LOVE London, I usually go a few times a year with my mum and sister to see shows, and we are definitely overdue.

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?..This will be in the pile for my friend who I swap books with, as last weeks book was. I saw her today, and we agreed that we need a book swap as the piles are teetering :)

I enjoyed this book, it was actually the authors debut novel, published 2010.  Michelle (the author) moved over from America herself, so it’s possible that it is partly autobiographic. I’ve read a few books which are reversed, with America being the place the heroine ends up, so it was interesting, and funny to read the adventures of a single American in London for the first time. The little footnotes at the bottom of some pages that define and explain the Americanisms used in the text are really good and funny.

It reminded me of when I went to NYC and we stood in the queue in the deli at breakfast and didn’t have the foggiest what the protocol for ordering all the bagels etc was, all the New Yorkers were laughing at the tourists (but in a nice way! I think!)

All in all, a good light hearted and funny read, I’d recommend for all Chic lit fans!

On another note, my week started quite badly, work was rubbish..but..as the week has gone on I have had a bigger smile on my face..Why? well funny you should ask..

1. I’ve made some lovely new blog friends this week that have made me soooooo happy!  LOVE getting emails from you :) (in fact to celebrate, I’m thinking of having my first giveaway, but you will have to come back later in the week to see what I come up with!)

2. Had a cinema date with Mr D to see The Kings Speech. FAB film! Go see it!

3. My lovely Niece took us out for dinner as a belated Bday treat for Mr D About time! Haha!

4. Attended my first ever furniture Auction with Sis, it was Fab! So interesting! And so cheap for furniture! We will definitely be going back, and maybe we won’t be scared to bid!

5. Oh Yeah!!! TODAYI GOT MY CAMERA!!!!!!!!!!! Nikon D3100,I am so excited but I’m really tired tonight so haven’t really fiddled yet…….oooooo the possibilities of photo goodness are endless I tell you! (just as long as I figure out all the buttons…)

Hope you had a great weekend!

10 comments:

  1. I loved reading your book review! I really want to read this now. Sometimes it is so nice to just read a funny, easy book (I'm a literature student so I have to read some pretty weird books sometimes). I have to write this one down on my what-to-read-list. And I'm so excited about your camera! I have a D60 and I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! I'm a chic lit fan and I do like the read light books.

    Oh how exciting getting your camera! I'm sure you will have a lot of fun and take fab photos. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so exciting you got your camera! I recommend just reading the manual to pieces and reading lots of online tutorials. It's a little bit of a pain at first, but so worth it once you get things figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh new chick lit to read! I'm happy to have an idea of something to get from the library!
    Neat site!
    Meri
    merigoesround.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY camera! I love your book reviews :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending you lots of blog love lady. This book sound great and yay for a new camera!!

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you do these book reviews! I'm always looking for something new to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for the new camera! That is exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see everybody talking about the Kings Speech it must be a good film. Thanks for sharing your book review. I love good reads.

    Write it in Lipstick

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your book reviews - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete