Monday, 21 February 2011

Book Review No. 7 :)

I saw this film advertised in the cinema, and really wanted to see it, then when I saw the book for a pound..well I just couldn’t help myself…

image bs

Driving around the country now, I see things that will remind me of Hailsham…

As children, Ruth Kathy anad Tommy spend their childhood at a seemingly idylic English boarding school. As they grow into young adults, they find that they have to come to terms with the strength of the love they feel for each other, while preparing themselves for the haunting reality that awaits them.

Never Let Me Go is an unforgettable story of love, friendship and the fragility of life.

First 5 sentences..My name is Kathy H. I’m thirty one years old, and I’ve been a carer now for over eleven years. That sounds long enough, I know, but actually they want me to go on for another eight months, until the end of this year. That’ll make it almost exactly twelve years. Now I know that me being a carer so long isn’t necessarily because they think I’m fantastic at what I do.

Where I got my hands on it.. I bought another book for somebody I can’t mention as it’s a present, and the offer in WHS was ‘buy one get one for a pound’! So…well…it would be rude not to wouldn’t it?!

The cover.. Show scenes from the film. Which I would like to see now I’ve read the book

Made me want to… Read Remains of The Day, which is by the same author

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?.. Anyone want this one? Just let me know!

I LOVED this book, it’s by far my favourite read of the year. Kathy reminisces about her childhood while driving around the country side, she is a ‘donor in waiting’ which in itself is a horrifying thought. This is quite a disturbing story, but told in such a way that I couldn’t decide if I felt sorry for the children or not. On the one hand what awaited them was horrific, but on the other hand thanks to Hailsham school, they got to lead a somewhat ‘normal life’ and they had each other.

I definitely recommend this one

Enter the giveaway today as I will be choosing the winner tomorrow (Tues)!

Thank you all for your comments while I was feeling sorry for myself. No time for feeling sorry for myself today (or this week!) as I have 2 businesses to look after while the bosses are away!

15 comments:

  1. This books sounds great. I've seen it in book stores and seen the movie preview and been wondering about it. I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this book on the weekend (with Gracie, above, actually!). I contemplated buying it, and now I wish I had. I think I'll have to go back and get it!

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Glad to hear you enjoyed it, I did too =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great story; think I may have to add it to my ever-growing list of "to read" books!
    You should check out www.readitswapit.co.uk as a place where you can exchange your books; I've swapped quite a few of mine on there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the book, I also want to see the film x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting book, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can't wait to read and see that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh new books! I love new books so thanks for the rec :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my goodness, you are on a roll with your book reading! i've been wanting to sit down and read, but instead i just blog : /

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see this movie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this movie over the summer and really, really liked it. I thought Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield were terrific, and the story provided so much food for thought. I would love to read the book!

    xo,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks girl.... thinking about our dogs playing together totally made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've got me curious now! I'll have to check it out and the movie scenes make me want to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ive been reading like crazy and looking for books to read and gnus is a book i will definitely be reading, thank you for the great review ;) xo

    ReplyDelete