Sunday, 20 March 2011

Book Review No. 11 :)

This week I’ve been reading a book which is totally different to anything I’ve read in a while..

n217873

Dee Williams' latest saga, both warm and nostalgic, will transport you back to the lost era of Swingtime. It's late 1935 and Sue Carver is living happily with her parents in Rotherhithe, working in the office of a local car dealer. She constantly has to resist the advances of her boss, the wealthy Fred Hunt, and her best friend Jane warns her to be careful. Fred's not the only one to have taken a liking to Sue: Jane's brother Ron also shows his admiration for her. But Sue's main love is dancing. She and Jane are always to be found at the local dance hall and when one memorable night the band brings in a new singer, Cy Noble, Sue can't help falling for him. Cy fails to tell her he is married, taking advantage of her naivety, and they spend a wild night together. But reality hits hard after the dance. Cy moves on and Sue is devastated to find out she is pregnant. Her parents are horrified when they find out, and just when she thinks things couldn't be worse, tragedy strikes. Will Sue ever find the love and happiness she craves?

First 5 sentences.. Sue Reed walked slowly through Rotherhithe New Road and waited at the bus stop, knowing that her best friend Jane Brent, would be getting off the next bus.  They lived next door to each other, so every evening when they finished work they would walk home together discussing what they had done and who they had seen at work.  A slight breeze made Sue pull her cardigan tighter round her and she touched her navy beret, hoping that it would stay in place on her nondescript dark hair, which she now wore in a bob.  Her parents had been upset when they saw what she’d done to her long and naturally curly locks, but she was fed up with looking like a school girl.   It was late September and summer was almost over, soon it would be autumn and with that came the dark nights.

Where I got my hands on it..  This is another charity shop book, but this one was a total bargain at 40pence! I find that even charity shops are putting their book prices up and it really varies the cost of them. I am pleased that their is one shop in town that gives all it’s profits to local people who need help..and their prices are the cheapest!

The cover..  Totally takes you to the 30’s. The model looks like Claire Danes..(love her!)

Made me want to…  Go swing dancing! Love the clothes..the atmosphere…not so keen on the outside lavs..and the pay haha

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?.. As you may have gathered by now, I give most of my books away to various friends/relatives who I think may like them. This one is going in the bag for my Granny, I’m going up to Yorkshire to visit her soon and she always likes a bag of books from me.

As I mentioned above, this is different to anything I’ve read in a while.  I liked it.  It’s set in a time when ‘times were hard’ but you can’t help feeling people were a lot happier then, it wasn’t all about keeping up with the neighbours, as much as just wanting food on the table and a cup of hot cocoa round the fire at night with the family.  I would definitely read this author again, even though, as with a lot of books of this genre, I did find it quite predictable, but in a nice, comfortable, escapism kind of way.

We’ve had a very sunny weekend, I’ve been working…(can’t wait till my staff are trained and I can escape!) but I have managed to do a bit of reading up for my allotment..here’s what I’m dreaming of..

allotment4

Thinking of growing some wild flowers :)

Tonight is my usual Sunday night viewing that is Country File, The Antiques Road Show, and I see that Country House Rescue is back on! Yippee for me!

Hope the week is Sunny for everyone!

:)x

8 comments:

  1. Awww I love finding new books, will have to chk this out:-)

    And thanks for your sweet comment! I think we'd be great friends in real life too (as well as already in blog land!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to catch up on reading! Book 11 already!? This sounds like another great read! I'm adding it to my list, like all the ones you've read haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this era! nice review :)

    http://fashioneggplant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really interesting. I like that you find random books in charity shops. And I will have to start Never Let Me Go very soon!! Thanks again for sending it over. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great book...thanks for the awesome review. I love the style of the cover. We have had some beautiful weather lately, too!! I'm enjoying it before it gets too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great book. I can't wait until I'm finished will all this uni work and can finally read what I want to read, and to have time to read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great book!

    I love Antiques Roadshow too!

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yet another great book, I should see if my library has it.

    ReplyDelete