Monday, 7 March 2011

Book Review No.9! (a little late…but still..)

 

book

Pippa Lee is patient, calm and statuesque; a devoted wife and mother of grown twins, considered by her friends to be "peaceful and good ... beatific". But she knows better. "If only you knew," she says. "I'm like one of those shiny used cars that have been in a terrible accident. They look perfectly fine on the outside, but the axle is bent."

As the novel begins, Pippa's husband Herb, 30 years her senior, has moved them both to a swanky retirement community in Connecticut where Pippa is the youngest by some margin. Perhaps understandably, she rapidly develops a disorder that involves driving around in her sleep, smoking cigarettes and eating chocolate cake. What follows is the story of how Pippa's axle became so bent, and what she must do to straighten it out.

First 5 sentences.. Pippa had to admit, she liked the house.  This was one of the newer units, they were told.  Dishwasher, washing machine,dryer,microwave, electric oven, all new.  Carpeting, new.  Septic tank, roof.

Where I got my hands on it.. I’ve had this book on my shelf for so long I can’t remember where I got it! This weekly book review challenge I’ve set myself is fantastic for dusting off all those books that have been sat there waiting for me to pick them!

The cover.. for some reason when I picked this book off my shelf I thought it was Billy Piper on the cover…a la..The Secret Diary of a Call Girl! haha

Made me want to… Watch the film….I wasn’t even aware there WAS a film until I googled the cover image!

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?..  Oh, another one for the friend pile… :)

I enjoyed this book, and yet it was the strangest book I’ve read this year.. the middle section is flash backs to Pippa’s childhood..which in parts I found quite shocking and unexpected.

I’m not sure I believed the ending.

I’m definately going to look out for the film…esp as I see the cast list! Have a peek at the trailer!

 

Hope you are all having  a great week!

The sun has shone over the sea today :) Everyone wanted to come and visit me at the shop…and I was in the middle of a Fruit Scone Making Marathon!..Seriously, I got so much done at work this morning I was really quite chuffed :)

Which got me wondering if you would like some recipes?

13 comments:

  1. sounds like a great book! can't wait for the movie, the trailer looks amazing

    xx http://madelineweber.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely like some recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post is great! thank you for your comments! i'm always so happy to know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great book! I love reading your book reviews. And I've nominated you for the stylish blogger award. Congratulations =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of this book but never read it! Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh another book to look out for. I'm trying to read all the unread books on my shelves before I buy any new books.

    Recipes are always welcome. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. it sounds awesome. great pos t:)

    natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks like an interesting book/movie! i love hearing about all of these books from you!
    also, i'd love some recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that sounds good actually - i love reading books who have movies. but you have to read the book first :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a good book! I'll have to pick that up sometime! I definitely want to read it before the movie comes out, I like to have my own perceptions before a movie inevitably changes them haha

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great cast! and the trailer made me want to watch it and you made me want to read it.

    also-- my twin called saying she was so excited to be paired with you in jessie's etsy swap! :) i was too when she told me it was YOU!

    ps. THANK YOU for sharing your sentimental piece of art on my blog -- post is up! and yours was def. one of my favorites... how magical to have married the man of your dreams in such a one of a kind setting! and whoever the artist was, wow.

    http://dolcevitamicaela.blogspot.com/2011/03/wanting-to-know-you-wens-art-gallery.html

    xo

    ReplyDelete