Friday, 4 March 2011

Photographic Friday

Ok, so we will meet here every Friday and I can tell you what I have learned in Camera class this week, yes ?

002

The class is, as i said, a beginners ‘Learning to use your Digital SLR’ course. The first week, we spent the time setting the camera up to the tutors settings. This meant we changed the Focus point to the middle (mine was way off to the side for some reason lol) Changed the White Balance to Auto, (White Balance is used when you are shooting in different lighting conditions sunny, cloudy, shade..) the image quality to Fine (which means the Largest Jpeg) and the iso to 400. I did have a bit of fun trying to find how to change all this on my camera as I forgot to take the manual…durrrrrr…but i eventually managed by just fiddling with all the buttons!

So I took a leap & did as instructed…. turning the settings dial from Auto, where it had been for the two weeks I’ve owned the camera….to the scary…Creative Mode. (That's the part on the dial that has the letters..M,A,S and P.

Mr Tutor told us that for the course we would be in Creative Mode, mainly using the camera in either A or S Mode. Aperture (depth of Field) or Shutter Speed

When you have the camera on A Mode, this means that you select the Aperture and the camera selects the Shutter Speed.

When you have the camera on S Mode, this means that you select the Shutter Speed, and the camera selects the Aperture. So with each you are doing half the work and the camera does the other half, depending which you want to be in control of.

Aperture…depth of field…this determines how much of your photo you want to be in focus.  Aperture is measured in F stops. ie..F/4, F/5.6 F8. And on my camera there is also a little circle on the info screen that closes and opens depending where you have the aperture set. The narrower the aperture opening (and the larger the number) the more of the image will be in focus, and vice versa.  So a setting of F/4 would give you a shallow depth of field, meaning everything behind your focal point will be blurred.

The larger number ie…F/22 will maximise the depth of field, often this will capture everything from the foreground to background in focus. This would be ideal for Landscapes..

Shutter Speed this determines the duration of an exposure, so you either freeze motion in time, so every detail is visible,  or blur to create a sense of motion and energy. A fast shutter speed will freeze all motion, while a slow shutter speed will create a sense of movement. Fast shutter speeds will help to reduce ‘camera shake’ so less likely hood of a blurred image. Using slow shutter speeds there is more chance of camera shake, the best way to avoid this would be to use a Tripod.

When in this mode you need to activate the flash yourself.

That was just a wee taster of the lesson, the main gain for me was finding where and how to change all this info on my camera, and not being scared to try different settings! I’ve been playing with it a lot more now I’m feeling more confident!

Sorry if I bored you, maybe you all know all this already! But this has helped me imprint it on my little brain so bear with me… x

021 

Haha! Sorry I just had to do the self portrait!!

Hope you all have a fantabulous weekend.

Me? Well funny you should ask…I’ll be spending 2 nights in the woods with some friends….taking the camera to play with, books to read, and the last of the mulled wine to heat on the fire :)

12 comments:

  1. This was very interesting. I have a Nikon too and I am learning something new almost everytime I'm using it. I should probably join a group as well to learn some more. Hope you'll have a great weekend =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me want a new camera!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your weekend sounds amazing!!! i can't wait to see the photos.

    is it terrible that i just use a digital point and shoot? i've been dreaming of getting a "real" camera but i'm terribly afraid that i won't know how to use it! LOL

    ps. thanks for playing along with my wanting to know you wens post! so can not wait to show off your art ;)

    happy weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a new camera for Christmas and really must stop using it on Auto all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE THIS POST!
    I literally took my new camera out and played around with the aperture and shutter speed settings.
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot even tell you how much I appreciate this post! I got a new camera for Christmas but don't know how to use it. This post really helped me, so thank you!!!!

    p.s. I'm excited to get my book in the mail! :) Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to test this all out. Thanks!

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this definitely makes me want to take a photography class too.

    <3, New Follower
    Come get a dose of laughter at A Taste of T

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's interesting. I'm thinking about taking a photography someday.
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend.


    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun a camera class, you will love it!

    Have fun camping out this weekend love ;)

    Kary xo


    P.S. I am SO happy it was just a really bad sprain and not a fractured ankle, even though I have to go again on Monday because it still hurts like crazy! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AH I'm so excited for your photography class! This is so informative! I'm definitely going to learn so much from you! haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was such a helpful post! I have had DSLR for almost a year now and I am embarrassed to say how little I know about it. I never venture off of automatic. You really just taught me so much about my camera :)

    Where did you find a class to take on cameras?

    ReplyDelete