Tuesday, 26 April 2011

Book Review no. 14 (the one you’ve been waiting for)

While at Grannies house I bought this book. You know how I loved these as a teenager. I was so excited to see this on the shelf as I didn’t think it was out in paper back yet.

sw

It’s been ten years since the Wakefield twins graduated from Sweet Valley High, and a lot has happened.

For a start, Elizabeth and Jessica have had a falling out of epic proportions, after Jessica committed the ultimate betrayal, and this time it looks like Elizabeth will never be able to forgive her.

Suddenly Sweet Valley isn’t big enough for the two of them, so Elizabeth has fled to New York to immerse herself in her lifelong dream of becoming a serious reporter, leaving a guilt-stricken Jessica contemplating the unthinkable: life without her sister.

Despite the distance between them, the sisters are never far from each other’s thoughts. Jessica longs for forgiveness, but Elizabeth can’t forget her twin’s duplicity. Uncharacteristically, she decides the only way to heal her broken heart is to get revenge. Always the ‘good’ twin, the one getting her headstrong sister out of trouble, Elizabeth is now about to turn the tables...

First 5 sentences.. Elizabeth had turned the key in the fox lock., releasing a heavy metal bar that scraped across the inside of the front door with an impressive prison gate sound, and was about to attack the Segal lock when the phone in the apartment started to ring.  By the time she had opened the second lock and was sliding the key into the last one, this was New York, after all- the phone was on the fourth ring.  At almost midnight, it had to be the West Coast calling.  She could still grab it in time, but Elizabeth didn’t hurry.  Slow, with purpose, slow, giving the internal anger and hurt time to shoot from zero to a hundred.

Where I got my hands on it.. Water Stones. Yeah. I know. Brand new. BUT it was on a 3 for 2 special. And really? you would have too wouldn’t you?

The cover.. Took me right back to high school :)

Made me want to…  Go to ebay and buy the whole set to read again!

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?..  I’m going to force my friend to read this. She was my partner in Sweet Valley love.

I have to mention something about the dialog in this book. The way Jessica ‘talks’ I found pretty annoying. She uses the word ‘like’ a lot in a sentence. example:

The air in the car chills, and the front seat extends, like two blocks; we are that  disconnected.

I know that people use this word a lot in ‘real’ life, I’m guilty myself even though I hate myself for it, but for some reason reading it in the book irritated me!!

It’s so fun to see Elizabeth fighting back :) But I won’t spoil it for you.

Apart from that….this is everything a true Sweet Valley addict would wish for. I didn’t read the SVU books, so I was completely clueless about Todd!!!!! OMG!!

Read it!! I did In a couple of days while camping over Easter.

Photos of camp to come but here’s a sneak preview cos I know you can’t wait to see the Blue Bells :)

017

Are you counting down to The Royal Wedding? I am. I can’t wait.

:)x

11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh- even just reading this post about SVH brings me back! I loved the tv show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh, SVH...the memories came a flooding back :)

    xx Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait until the Royal Wedding! Hope you're having a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I love that you reviewed a Sweet Valley High book!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED SVH! I totally forgot about it until I just read your post. Now I want to go back and read them!

    just wanted to let you know that I gave you an award on my blog, Claire!

    spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Come payday I am treating myself to this!

    Thanks so much for my giveaway win, I can't wait to get stuck in over the weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't even tease me with this. I used to love SVH books!! :) This is super exciting to find out that I am not the only SV dork still remaining. Bahahahaha.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cover! But that first paragraph isn't exactly gripping... for me, anyway! Still, I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read the book too. I did enjoy it but I was a little disappointed. I'm not sure why. Maybe I had overly high expectations. I did love getting transported back into the world and seeing the characters.

    I only read one or two SVU books and Elizabeth was dating a guy called Tom in it.

    P.S. I'm glad you received the book (lol sorry that was such a late comment about that).

    ReplyDelete