Saturday, 21 May 2011

Book Review No. 15!

Ok, I know I have slacked off in the review department last week, but it’s because I’ve been reading this book, which took me 2 weeks to read. Long time for me!

images a

Abandoned as a child, on the steps of the St Rose Convent in New York City.  Evangeline Cacciatore grew up knowing little of her parents.  Assisting a scholar in the convent one day, she uncovers a disturbing secret connected to her family.  It relates to a sinister discovery in the Bulgarian mountains a beautiful humanlike body impervious to decay.  Who is it?  And what does it have to do with her parents?

Her discovery puts Evangeline in terrible danger.  Unwittingly, she has reopened the war between two societies of merciless individuals racing to control powerful hidden artefacts.  It is a battle that will have a devastating effect on human kind.

Only by delving deeper into her family’s secret history will Evangeline uncover the truth.  But will it save? or destroy her?

First 5 sentences.. The angelologists examined the body.  It was in tact, without decay, the skin as smooth and as white as parchment.  The lifeless aquamarine eyes gazed heavenward.  Pale curls fell against a high forehead and sculptural shoulders shoulders, forming a halo of golden hair.  Even the robes, the cloth woven of a white shimmering metallic material that none of them could identify exactly , remained pristine, as if the creature had died in a hospital room in Paris and not a cavern deep below the earth.

Where I got my hands on it.. I got this when I went to Yorkshire. Sis and I went to Water stones where they were having a 3 for 2 offer. So we got a book each and a free one. This was the free one. Sis was the one who picked it off the shelf. It’s more her kind of thing than mine, but I’m so glad she did!

The cover.. Dark & a bit mysterious?

Made me want to… look out for the sequel? I don't know if there will be one but it needs one!

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?..  Sis is next to read it, as she is the one who chose it after all. I just got it first as I read quicker than her. Or more often.

I really liked this book. I’ve never read an adult fiction like it. I’ve read a few YA books with Fairies, Angels, Vampires as the theme, but never an adult one. Its a thick book, all 642 pages of it, which is why it’s taken me longer to read than usual.  It’s also really ‘wordy’ & descriptive.

This novel is set in a time when Angels walk among us. There wings strapped down so that they blend in with everyone else. The Angels are dying off & need to get the hands on the cure, which has been hidden from them. So the fight begins.

Isn’t it funny how some books just seem to take forever to get through? In contrast, I started reading  The Hunger Games as soon as I finished Angelology on Wed night, and had finished it by Fri lunchtime!! That’ll be review no. 16!

Its sooooo hot here today!  I’ve just been and watered the allotment. My little patch of Cutting Garden flowers are getting very tall. Just have a bit of a problem at the moment deciding which are weeds :o…it’s all just green to me haha. Hopefully they will flower soon and I will be able to sort them out..

Mr D has been cleaning his  motorbike this morning and now I think it may be bacon roll time!

Have a wonderful Saturday

:)x

7 comments:

  1. I love your book reviews, this books sounds really interesting I have only just started reading adult fantasy novels and they are really growing on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Always on the look-out for a good read!
    Have a fab weekend!
    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting! And some books just take a long time, though it always rots me when it does - I just want to read the next one!

    I wish it was hot here today, it's raining and windy, And were suppose to get snow. And thundershowers. In the next twenty-four hours. Sigh.

    Can't wait to read your Hunger Games review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm not usually drawn to "fantasy" type movies or books but you make this one sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once I actually start reading, I don't like to put the book down until I'm done. I usually stay up ALL night to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds pretty engrossing- thanks for the review! I appreciate a review on a type of book I'm not as familiar with- I wouldn't even know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at mysterious. Sounds like a worthy read!

    ReplyDelete