Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Book Review No. 16

So I know I’m probably the last one in the universe to read this, & its thanks to Gracie that I am now part of the official Hunger Games cheer squad.

51cnXbLiZiL__SL500_AA300_

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlaying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one girl and one boy between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has also resolved to outwit the creators of the games. To do that she will have to be the last person standing at the end of the deadly ordeal, and that will take every ounce of strength and cunning she has.

Where I got my hands on it.. As I said above I got this as a wee gift from the lovely Gracie :)

The cover.. Looks like a computer game, which made me think that the book was about them before I read into it..

Made me want to… order the next two…yipppeeeeeee

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?..  I’ve already leant it to my Niece as I couldn’t stop going on about it to her haha

I read this in 24 hours. I just couldn’t put it down. The dishes piled up, the cupboards were empty, but there I was, wanting to turn the page and see how Katniss was going to beat The Capital and win The Hunger Games.

The only thing I found weird about this book is that I couldn’t get the scale of The Hunger Games in my head. It’s supposed to be in an ‘arena’, which I think of as a football stadium size place. But The Hunger Games Arena has so many different areas, rivers, woods, baron planes, they set fire to it, have hovercrafts dropping by to pick up the bodies..I’m thinking they must be the size of a County. Then the arenas are kept as tourist attractions every year and new one’s built? Or did I get that wrong? Maybe it’s always the same arena. Because surely they would run out of space to build them.

Am I thinking too much about this? It seems like I am, but that’s what kept bugging me throughout the book. Bizarre.

The whole reality TV thing was quite scary. I think reality TV is heading this way. Peoples idea of entertainment is becoming warped.

Anyway all I really want to say about this book is read it. Whatever age you are. The dishes will still be there tomorrow. Or if your really lucky, someone else will do them :)

:)x

23 comments:

  1. Oh yay!! Welcome aboard!! Can't wait for the movie!!

    Ahhhh!! Your planning a visit to NYC, now that is awesome news!! I'm so excited :)

    Happy Tuesday sweet girl!!

    xo Karina xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I loved these books as well! With book 1 + 2 I was absolutely not able to put them down till I finished them. It was even worse with the second book. Oh so good. Can't wait for the movie!!

    If you've finished these books, let me know - I have another recommendation for you - equally good! :)

    Here's to a good week. XO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I'm going to have to check this out. I have a friend who loved them,a nd my roommate is reading them in French right now. So I guess borrowing his is out! Haha!

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving the support-your'e such a sweetie! Also, sorry it took me so long to get over here and follow back-but I think I see a friendship in our future! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love learning about new reads. Fabulous. Ok will check it out.
    XXXXX Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only are you not the last one to read the book, I hadn't even hear of it before reading your post! But it's so cozy here, under the rock... ;)

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of them but they are on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read it yet, despite the amazing reviews I've read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A new addition to my list, and the list is growing :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. seams cool!!!



    xoxo from rome
    K.
    http://kcomekarolina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok yes, I totally want to read this, I keep hearing about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adored The Hunger Games. Took it on the elliptical machine at the gym and read several hundred pages in one go! I looked up, the gym was closing, and I'd burned 500 calories!

    You will love the next two as well, though be warned... they get even darker as you go.

    That's a weird cover on your one. I haven't seen that cover, but ours had the mockingjay brooch on it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously one of my FAVORITE books! It's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess I should read this before the movie comes out!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never even heard of this, but it seems like everyone else has and has nothing but good things to say about it! Maybe when it becomes a movie I'll get on this train!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never even heard of this, but it seems like everyone else has and has nothing but good things to say about it! Maybe when it becomes a movie I'll get on this train!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now that you've read the first book, what do you think of the people they've cast in the movie?

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha. I have to read this!!
    Thanks for sharing!


    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVED The Hunger Games!!! So good! Oddly enough I came across the book at Target...and thought it looked neat and the title was interesting...so I gave it a shot! I couldn't put the book down! I have read all of them and can't wait for the movie!

    I'm reading the Outlander series now...I am obsessed with it at the moment!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay yay! I'm so glad that I got you into the series :) I tend to do that a lot. I could be the PR person for the series.

    It does get darker and more intense. Especially the last one.

    Also I received your lovely postcard and snail mail pals would be fun :) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love books that you can't put down and the rest of your life just have to wait while you read it. This sounds like such a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. so many people have talked about this book. i haven't read the series but i'm tempted to!

    Claire @
    spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes! I've just started reading this book and I'm already hooked!

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete