Tuesday, 12 July 2011

Book Awards?

Does anyone take notice of these?


I read a lot. I read because I want to imagine. I read to escape for a few minutes. Sometimes I read to learn something.


Rarely do I read the books with the stickers on. You know the ones. They say things like ‘Winner of the Orange Prize for Fiction’.


I know people that will buy the books with the stickers. They are usually the people that tell me to go see a film because it is going to get loads of Oscars. Usually I can’t see what all the fuss is about. (watched Slumdog Millionaire and seriously? It was…ok.)


I guess for Authors it’s a great honour to have one of these stickers on your book. I get that. It’s like an Actor receiving an Oscar. Means that ‘those that matter’ (who are they anyway?) have given your book their seal of approval.


Well. This book apparently won the Orange Prize 2011.


9780297859048


Judged by these ladies.


art_2011prize



  • Bettany Hughes, (Chair), Broadcaster, Author and Historian

  • Helen Lederer, Actress and Writer

  • Liz Calder, founder-director of Bloomsbury Publishing and Full Circle Editions

  • Susanna Reid, Journalist and Broadcaster

  • Tracy Chevalier, Novelist

I’m not slating this book… I couldn’t without reading it..I’m just saying..I have never seen or heard of this book before now. I only recognise one of these lady judges. I have never noticed this book on the book shelves of any of the bookstores I’ve been in. It is not a book that screams at me to pick it up, (probably why I’ve never noticed it). So. Would you go and buy a book that you have never heard of. On the basis that it now will have one of those stickers?


I am not a book snob. I am drawn to a book first by it’s cover. Shallow? Yes. But it’s my time that I will be spending reading, so I don’t feel like I have to justify myself. Then I will read the back, then the first page. If I want to, I will buy it. And I have to admit, those stickers put me off. I don’t want people that I don’t know telling me I should read something. (Probably why I never got on with my English teacher at high school, when English was always my favourite subject!)


I will read books that are recommended by friends/family, in fact…I actually love it when a friend gives me a gift of a book because it means they have thought about they type of book I would like.. or if I see it being talked about on a TV show. I liked The Time Travellers Wife. But apart from that? I can’t think of a book with a sticker that I have enjoyed.


I love when bloggers recommend books, if it’s a recommendation from a blogger I ‘know’ then it’s a friend recommending I read it and that’s good. But. A bunch of people I don’t know (& therefore have no clue if they like to read the Oxford dictionary on the train..) is just odd.


So. What about you? Have you read any ‘books with stickers’ lately? Including the one above..Should I give any a go?


SmileX


PS. Back from Yorkshire! Had a great time with Granny! Now though, after a 4 1/2 hour journey turned into 6 hours. Now I have to get my backside to work for most of the day.


Ho Hum.

5 comments:

  1. I don't usually pay attention to the stickers. I couldn't even tell you one book that has a sticker like that on it... The only ones I remember (And I don't remember names or specifics) having stickers were the books teachers read to my classes in elementary school. And that was a long time ago. Haha! I'm like you, I totally judge books by their cover. Haha!

    I don't really have any recommendations except for "divergent". I've never read it but I've heard it's awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never go buy a book because of the stickers the only book I have read that had a sticker of some sort on it was "The Time Travellers Wife" and I absolutely hated that book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more with what you've said. What about 3 for 2 stickers though?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just attempted The Tiger's Wife and then gave up. It really didn't do it for me, sticker or no sticker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look at stickered books, but usually the sticker annoys me and I pull it off if I buy it, haha.

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete