Thursday, 11 August 2011

Happy Birthday to Me, (& Book Review No. 20!)

Pssssssssst…..it’s someone’s Birthday today!!

bday

Would you like to join me for my party? I’m having it over at

                                                         My Other Blog

So hop on over, but remember, the dress code is of the Vintage/Tea Dress variety. And please do not come empty handed. Bring your favourite tea cup, some Lady Grey, or maybe a gooey cake?

If you don’t fancy a party,  (ummmmm remind me why we are friends….?) you can stay here and have a read of my book review.

If you are really rock & roll, you could do both.

Spoiler alert…….

So here it is. The third and final in the series…

imagesCA2SLMZX

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what's worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss's family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins's groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.

First five sentences… I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.  This is where the bed i shared with my sister Primm stood.  Over there was the kitchen table.  The bricks of the chimney, which collapsed in a charred heap, provide a point of reference for the rest of the house.  How else could I orient myself in this sea of grey?  Almost nothing remains of District 12.  A month ago the Capitols firebombs obliterated the poor coal miners houses in the Seam, the shops in the town, even the Justice Building.

Where I got my hands on it.. I admitted last review that I bought this along with Catching Fire from Amazon. EEEEEEEEK

The cover.. Like I said before. Not feeling the covers of any of these books.

Made me want to… definitely would look out for this Author again. And Young Adult books in general. Ones that aren’t about Vampires lol (can’t believe i just typed lol on my blog, one doth text too much)

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?.. My niece has got this now, she’s just finished The Hunger Games after me going on and on at her to read it…..yes she loved it.

I found this the weakest of all three books, although it was just as un-put-down-able because I wanted to know what happens in the end.

This book is about war, what it means and what becomes of the people who come back from it. How people become Pawn’s either for the enemy or their own people. How people change and families are torn apart. And people die.

It’s darker than the others,… will be interesting when the movie comes out..The ending left me slightly disappointed, with an epilogue that far into the future I expected more.  At the same time, it’s a bit of fresh air that it’s not all happy & roses in the garden as everyone would expect.

But, it has to be said, this Trilogy was pretty darn good.

Go read it.

Ps.  I’m off again on my travels in my Home on Wheels, so have to come back on Mon for the giveaway!

SmileX

19 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Lovely!!!! I have just started this book I got the Trilogy for my birthday and cant put them down I cant wait for the movie.This is also my RSVP that I am coing to your teaparty,cant wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!
    have a wonderfully magical year ahead.

    glad that you enjoyed your book too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday sweetie! Have an amazing day and I hope the whole year will be as you want and need it to be.
    Kisses and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, hope you have a great time! I've already been to your party and had lots of fun - thanks for inviting me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I'm a leo too, mine is next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about the ending. I was a little disappointed. I wanted more. BUT I still love them! The US covers are different than this one. Have you seen them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH! and DUUUUH! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday my dear!!

    I hope you have had a fantastic day.

    X X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I didn't even know you had another blog!! Happy birthday, Claire!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOUR BLOG IS SO LOVELY!!!!! I love the photo on your header!!!!...thanks for stopping by!! i'm following you now...follow back???xxx
    Chari T (deep fried stilettos)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Feliz Cumpleanos love!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Happy Birthday darling girl :)
    Wishing you a very magical day!

    Hope you have a blast and that your special day is full of love, happiness, and lots of cake :)

    xo Kary xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETIE!!! man oh man, i'm so behind the times in reading this :( gasp! lol

    you make me want to read it though. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was my least favourite of the trilogy too. And the epilogue made me roll my eyes, haha.

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I'm so glad you said that about the covers. I can't stand them, but I've heard so many good things about these books!

    Happy happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy happy birthday!! I'm sure you had a magical day!


    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday my dear! Hope you had a great one:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy (belated) Birthday my dear friend Claire!!!! I hope you have the most fabulous year yet!


    I still need to read the first one.... I'm so behind!!

    ReplyDelete