Friday, 23 September 2011

Incubus. Book Review No. 23

This is what I read a couple of weeks ago and I’ve been itching to do the review so that I can pass it on…

I didn't realise until I’d read it but this is the first novel in The Fairwick Chronicles, a new urban fantasy series by author Carole Goodman. An Author I have never read before, but would again.

incubus

'This is where all stories start, on the edge of a dark wood...'

Ever since moving to Fairwick to take up a teaching post at the local college, Callie has been having vivid, erotic dreams about a man made out of moonlight and shadows. Dreams she begins to fear as well as anticipate...

She learns that her home – a Victorian cottage at the edge of a wood she bought on a whim – is supposedly haunted. And then her new – and rather strange – colleagues tell her a local legend about an incubus demon with a human past who was enchanted by a fairy queen...

First five sentences… ‘So, Professor McFay, can you tell us how you first became interested in the sex lives of demon lovers?’

The question was a bit jarring, coming as it did from a silver-chignoned matron in pearls and a pink tweed Chanel suit.  But i’d gotten used to questions like these.  Since i’d written the best selling book Sex Lives of the Demon Lovers (the title adapted from my thesis, The Demon Lover in Gothic Literature: Vampires, Beasts and Incubi.  I’d been on a round of readings, lectures and now, job interviews, that focused on the sex in the title.

Where I got my hands on it..  I bought this in WHS. It was one of those moments when the cover totally grabbed me and i just had to have it. Cos sometimes that happens to me. (Mr D would argue that this happens a lot.)

The cover.. As I said, this cover was the thing that sold the book to me, I will not admit to reading the first 5 sentences in the shop and thinking I would love to read a book about erotic demon lover dreams.

The cover is really fitting to the story, and the tag line ‘This is where all stories start, on the edge of a dark wood’….got me intrigued.

Made me want to… This book made me think about subjects at my high school. Why couldn’t I have had the chance to take a class entitled ‘Vampires and the Gothic Imagination’ Which is the subject that Callie teaches in the book (no wonder she has dreams of Demon Lovers teaching that all day, you will be forgiven for thinking)

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?..  I’m giving this to a friend I book swap a lot with, I think her other half will like it too!

I loved this book. It was different to anything I had read before. It was set in New York State (always a winner)

The town, Fairwick is soon revealed to be on the edge of the borderlands between Fairy and the modern, human world. The last doorway to Fairy is hidden in the woods.  Callie seems to be able to open the door to Fairy, and she soon has to decide which staff members at the school are Witches, Fairies, or Vampires.

She also has to figure out who to trust.

I would highly recommend this book, and can’t wait for the next in the series to come out!

The weekend is here! The sun is shining!

Hope you all are having a fabulous time

SmileX

7 comments:

  1. I think I really need to check out that book. Thanks Claire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you kinda had me at demon sex. but then i dunno, this one sounds a little dark and spooky for me (though i did just finish reading Girl With the Dragon Tattoo).

    spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting! I haven't read as much this year as I would've liked. You make me feel bad, haha.

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds a little bit strange, but I always get sucked into books like that! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh cool...need to check it out. I have been so bad about reading books. I spend so much time on my laptop.
    xxxxxxxx

    PS- those models do look alike. ha! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had the time to read a bit more !!
    follow each other ?
    have you seen my new post ?
    http://v-fashionwise.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete