Sunday, 11 September 2011

St Paul’s NYC

ft_hdr_st_pauls

source.

How quickly time goes by. It doesn't seem like 10 years ago that I rang my Mother-in-Law after watching the news. Mr D has family in the US & his cousin works for United Airlines.

I remember breathing out on hearing she wasn’t on any flights that day.

2 years ago on our visit to NYC Mr D & our friends went to Ground Zero. We found St Pauls.

st-pauls-chapel

Built in 1766, St. Paul's is New York City's oldest continuously used public building.

Saint Paul's is directly across the street from the former World Trade Center site. Amazingly, the church did not sustain even a broken window when the seven enormous buildings collapsed on September 11, 2001. A huge sycamore tree which stood in the graveyard bore the brunt of the debris which rained down from the fallen buildings, protecting St Pauls.

For eight months after the World Trade Center disaster, hundreds of volunteers at Saint Paul's worked 12-hour shifts, 24 hours a day, tending to the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of the rescue, construction and security workers on the site. From around the world, thousands of well-wishers sent cards and banners to Saint Paul's to express their condolences to the families of the victims, their appreciation of the Ground Zero workers and their support for the people of New York City.

st pauls

The picture above is the only one we took at St Pauls that day, although we did take many more of the Ground Zero site.

Being inside the church amongst the many memorials to the fallen & the rescuers, taking photo’s just didn’t seem ok to me.

Take a moment and go Here to read more about the wonderful role played by St Paul’s in the months that followed Sept 11th.

9-11

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.

X

12 comments:

  1. We didn't go to St. Paul's. As planned to go to Ground Zero on a certain day and as fate would have it, it fell on the day after news of Bin Laden's death so it was really crazy around Ground Zero. I will definitely have to go next time I go to NYC. It's amazing to think that not even a window was broken on the church while so much was being broken around it. I feel so emotional today just remembering it all and how it affected our lives. For me personally it meant having my brother deployed three different times. It was always hard for me and my family when he was deployed and every day I thank God for bringing him home safely. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful post and experience at St. Paul's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful post! St.Paul's is just a miracle within! I can't explain what I feel every time I go into the church, it's so heartbreaking!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. i seriously can't believe it's been 10 years. i still remember the day. i was asleep and my roommate's mother called to wake us up. we turned on the TV and just sat there in shock at what happened. it's so nice to hear about the good things that came out of that day and to hear about St. Paul's. thank you for sharing.

    spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My roommate and I were just talking about this.. (We're watching the Barbara Walters special right now).

    10 years..

    ReplyDelete
  5. The years go by so fast. May God continue to be with the world.


    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh how wonderful, it's a miracle how much everyone pulled together.

    i can remember the day it happened so strongly, i was 13 and it was the first time i can really remember not being able to understand why. it makes me sick, and sad, and scared.

    my heart goes out to all the victims and their families x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's incredible, it's been 10 years already, I was in high school, in love and reading John Fowles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful post <3

    natalie
    http://lucyandtherunaways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an absolutely beautiful post Claire. I cannot believe how fast time has gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely post!

    I NEED YOUR HELP! I'm taking part in the bloggers wardrobe competition - please please please vote for me by liking:

    1. http://www.facebook.com/bloggerswardrobe

    2. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=210022279058096&set=a.210019082391749.53433.199739743419683&type=1&theater

    every like counts! please help me win this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. we went there both times we went to NYC, it's so sad

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember hearing about this at Uni in a tutorial. I was all, "What? Surely not!" and raced home and sat in front of the tv for hours.

    It is so, so sad. I can't believe it's been 10 years.

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete