Monday, 7 November 2011

Book Review No. 25!!

Remember when I went on holiday? seems like many moons ago..



Well here’s what I read.



51pLgMTpj1L__SL500_AA300_



Evie Flynn has always been the black sheep of her family - a dreamer and a drifter, unlike her over-achieving elder sisters. She's tried making a name for herself as an actress, a photographer and a singer, but nothing has ever worked out. Now she's stuck in temp hell, with a sensible, pension-planning boyfriend. Somehow life seems to be passing her by.



Then her beloved aunt Jo dies suddenly in a car crash, leaving Evie an unusual legacy - her precious beach cafe in Cornwall. Determined to make a success of something for the first time in her life, Evie heads off to Cornwall to get the cafe and her life back on track - and gets more than she bargained for, both in work and in love...



First five sentences… Family legend has it that on the day that I was born, when my elder sisters, Ruth and Louise, came tiptoeing in hand-in-hand to see me for the very first time, my mum said to them, ‘This is your new baby sister. What do you think we should call her?’ Ruth, the oldest twin, thought hard, with all the wisdom she’d gained in her mighty three years of life. ‘We should call her….Baby Jesus’, she pronounced eventually, no doubt with a lisping piety. Ruth had taken the Goody Two-Shoes role to heart from an early age. Either that or she was angling for extra Christmas presents.



Where I got my hands on it.. WHS buy one get one half price. I have a thing where if I’m going on holiday I’m allowed to buy a book. The same as when I buy myself something on holiday it seems like it’s different as we’re not really in the real world where such items would be deemed too expensive. This holiday I bought some new walking boots…



The cover.. Loved it. It did it’s job and jumped out at me from the shelves full of books. That’s what a book cover should do right? Loved the colour, they style, well just loved it really!



Made me want to… Open up a beach cafe and have the locals come in for regular meetings…craft nights..book clubs…Yeah. As if I didn’t want that enough already!



Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?.. This is going in the bag for a friend



I loved this, it’s just the kind of book you can curl up with on holiday with a cup of tea. I was transported to the beach cafe by the sea, and could just picture myself making scones, getting to know the locals…in theory this is what I do anyway (as well as ice cream!) but for some reason it all seemed much more romantic in the novel Smile



I don’t think I’ve ever read Lucy Diamond before but will look out for other novels!



SmileX



PS. The Murder Mystery weekend was fabulous! And wouldn’t you know we won! We were the only team to guess both murderers correctly. The town we stayed in was really great, more on that to come! Hope you all had a fab weekend…it was sunny where we were but I hear it rained a lot in most parts of the UK!

11 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely :) Books always sound so romantic. I wouldn't mind a beach cafe. Especially with book clubs, craft nights and just to hang with friends. It would be fun.

    P.S. Thanks for your postcard by the way :) Loved them. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the review. it sounds like a holiday read for sure.

    i still dream of living in Cornwall one day..... is it described well/a lot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds like so much fun to read on my vacay :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like just the sort of book I'm looking for right now. Putting it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for all the photography help! i think I'm probably just going to stick to my basic point and shoot cam for my outfit pics : ) Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds like a great escape from the quickly approaching cold weather! I need to read it this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lovely book. Thanks for sharing!!
    Speaking of books, I'm going to the bookstore tomorrow to get one. I finished reading my last book 3 weeks ago..I keep telling myself I don't need to waste money on a new book, but it's killing me..haha!!
    I hope your days are lovely!



    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete