Monday, 5 December 2011

Book Review No. 27!

I can’t believe how quickly the end of the year is arriving, and I have a few books to review before Jan!

This book was a Christmas prezzie from Mr D last year. It’s such a big thick heavy book that I saved it for our sitting-in-a-field holiday in July. I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to get around to sharing it with you because it was without doubt one of my favourite reads of 2010.

alan

Alan Sugar was born in 1947 and brought up on a council estate in Clapton, in Hackney. As a kid he watched his dad struggle to support the family, never knowing from one week to the next if he'd have a job. It had a huge impact on him, fuelling a drive to succeed that was to earn him a sizeable personal fortune. Now he describes his amazing journey, from schoolboy enterprises like making and selling his own ginger beer to setting up his own company at nineteen; from Amstrad's ground breaking ventures in hi-fi and computers, which made him the darling of the stock exchange, to the dark days when he nearly lost it all; from his pioneering deal with Rupert Murdoch to his boardroom battles at Tottenham Hotspur FC. He takes us into the world of The Apprentice, and describes his appointment as advisor to the government and elevation to the peerage. Like the man himself, this autobiography is forthright, funny and sometimes controversial.

First five sentences… There are three reasons why you may never have got the opportunity to read this book.  The first is that maybe I wasn’t planned to be in this world, the second is that when I did arrive I was abandoned, the third is that when I did arrive, my mum –accidently- nearly killed me!  Being twelve years younger than my closest sibling twins, I often joke that I think (well, I’m sure) that I was a mistake,maybe the result of a good night out during the post war euphoria.  In the late forties it was normal for babies to be left outside shops in their plans while their mothers went inside shops. That in itself gives you an idea of what times were like back then, mothers were not worried about weirdo's abducting babies.

Where I got my hands on it..  As I mentioned above my very own Santa bought me this. Big. Heavy. Hardback. Of which I would never buy myself due to the very expensive price!

The cover.. It’s the man himself, of course. I love the line ‘What you see is what you get’  It totally sums up everything i love about Mr Sugar.

Made me want to…  If you have ever thought about starting up your own business, this book will inspire you. You’ll be bundling up sticks before you know it and selling them for kindling to your neighbours. Hell….I’ve got my eye on the wood pile next to our fire right now!!

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?..  I’m just going to keep this. I think Mr D may be persuaded to read it!

Everyone who is a fan of the Apprentice TV shows should read this, it’s written in such a way that even if it wasn’t actually Mr Sugar (Sorry…Sir..) that wrote it, it’s totally his voice that comes through. It starts from his first money making schemes when he was just a school boy, and takes you through the Amstrad years, even names and shames people and companies that tried to take the ‘p’ out of him.

You get an insight into his family life, how he looked after his father, what his wife thinks of his career, and how he made his son start at the bottom like everybody else.

I had wanted to read this, and was chuffed to get it with my Christmas parcels, an I wasn't disappointed.

Hope you are all keeping warm! It’s turned very chilly here today….Dec weather has finally hit us on the coast!

SmileX

15 comments:

  1. hopefully there is NO snow like last year in London...did you get snow in your area too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting read. i might need to check that out. my bookclub chooses a new book tomorrow. I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it would be a great read! Hardback books are always so much more expensive so I don't have as many of those books :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want snow, I love snow.
    Like always, this book sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought I'd be interested in this book - but now I am! Great review!

    Thanks for your comment and for entering my little giveaway, good luck :-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! Another interesting book! I love that you review every book you read because then I feel like I've read the book just by reading the review. Is that cheating?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is SO very cold outside!

    heyyy I'm assigning for the holiday card swap! Go ahead and send me your mailing addy to tamaranicole2@yahoo.com, super excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like a funny start to the book :) and dude it has been freezing here... at least the snow hasn't really stuck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds super interesting--a nice change of pace from some of the schoolbooks i've been reading. i love how you analyze the first five sentences--i do that too, but i often read the last few, which totally ruined a couple of books for me, but i just like to do it:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool!!!



    xoxo from rome
    K.
    http://kcomekarolina.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I can imagine! I can't wait to open my etsy :)

    <3
    K

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still reading the books I bought due to your last review. Now, I have an urge to buy more books!! oh my! :)
    I hope you are enjoying the weather!!


    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the super sweet comment on my blog! You rock!

    Thera

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds so good!! It's actually starting to get cold down here, too!! We don't get snow, but we are definitely getting some cold weather!

    ReplyDelete