Friday, 23 December 2011

Book Review No. 29!!


book
Ever dreamed of starting over?Issy Randall can bake. No, more than that - Issy can create stunning, mouth-wateringly divine cakes. After a childhood spent in her beloved Grampa Joe’s bakery she has undoubtedly inherited his talent. So when she’s made redundant from her safe but dull City job, Issy decides to seize the moment and open up her own cafĂ©. It should be a piece of cake, right?Wrong. As her friends point out, she has trouble remembering where she left her house keys, let alone trying to run her own business. But Issy is determined. Armed with recipes posted to her from Grampa, and with her local bank manager fighting her corner, Issy attempts to prove everyone wrong. Following your dreams is never easy and this is no exception. Can Issy do it?
First five sentences   (insert Drop scone recipe here ..which I didn't want….(read…couldn’t be arsed…) to type out!)
Issy Randall refolded the piece of paper and smiled,  ‘Are you absolutely sure about this?’ she said to the figure in the easy chair.  ‘This is the recipe?’  The old man nodded vehemently.  He held up one finger, which Issy recognised immediately as his cue for a lecture. ‘Well, the thing is,’ Grampa Joe began, ‘baking is…..’
‘Life’, filled in Issy patiently.
Where I got my hands on it   I had seen this book on the shelves of the book shops and had resisted the temptation to buy it, and it payed off as I ended up paying the bargain price of 50pence in a charity shop!!
The cover  oh my, well this is a cover that appeals to the girl in me. Pink cup cakes, tea cups, what's not to love?
Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?  This is going on my pile for swapping with a fellow book lover.
This is everything I love in a book.  you know I dream of having my own tea shop one day, and this book did nothing to put me off.
Issy creates the cafe of fairy tales, you can almost smell the coffee every time you open the pages, and the characters are people you will want to make friends with. (Except the ex. He’s bad.  Insert Booooooo Hissssssss here)
If you’re looking for a bit of escapism over the Christmas break, this book is the one to read.
Hope you’re all ready for the big day. I am going to spend the day baking and giving out goodies to friends.
SmileX

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like another good read. Have a lovely christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I would read this book based on the title, alone! I love anything cutesy : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really beautiful book :).
    I wish you happy and peaceful holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh yes, this was such girlish indulgence, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely think I need to read this.

    I hope you have an AMAZING Christmas Claire. Thanks for being such a sweet, supportive friend.

    ReplyDelete