Saturday, 28 January 2012

Book Review No.2.. Prophecy of the Sisters

 

prophecy of the sisters

'Without the Keys, something terrible will happen. Something that cannot be undone. And with them, I might bring an end to the riddle of the Prophecy and my strange part in it. If Alice and I are on conflicting sides of the Prophecy, the Keys would be dangerous in her hands. Which means I have to find them. And I have to do it before my sister.' This is the story of sixteen-year-old Lia Milthorpe's quest to discover her role and her twin sister's in a powerful prophecy that has affected twin sisters for generations. But nothing can prepare her for what she discovers - about herself, about her family, and about the danger that goes from haunting her dreams to becoming her reality.

First five sentences… Perhaps because it seems so appropriate, I don’t notice the rain.  It falls in sheets, a blanket of silvery thread rushing to the hard almost winter ground.  Still, I stand without moving at the side of the coffin. I am on Alice’s right. I am always on her right, and I wonder if it was that way even in mothers womb, before we were pushes screaming into the world one right after the other.

Where I got my hands on it..  I had seen this book several times whilst browsing the bookstores….but had always resisted buying as it was in hardback and we know that’s against my religion to buy a hardback…then one day whilst out with sis, I spied it in the bargain section for 99p!! So being the thoughtful soul that I am, I put it in sis’s basket and said that she could wrap it up for me for Christmas. So she did. YeY!

The cover.. I have to say this is not the prettiest cover I’ve ever seen, the girls on the front not only look spooky…which I guess was the plan, but they just look a bit…well….not very attractive…

Made me want to…  I immediately went on line to see if there was a follow up to this, and guess what? It’s actually a trilogy.

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?..  This will be going back to sis, as she wants to read it, which has got to be the best Christmas present to buy, it only costs 99p, you know it’s something they want, and then you get it back when they’re done with it!! ha!

So, was it worth the wait? I think it was. Although the story was pretty much what I had dreamt up every time I had looked at the book, it still kept my attention, especially towards the end.  The story is set in the Victorian era, which lends itself nicely to the dark mysterious goings on.  The story is told by Lia, and she learns of her part in a family prophecy of which her and her sister are the next links in the chain.  A part she would rather not have, and threatens to endanger everyone around her.

This is YA and  not exactly challenging in the literary department, but I think you must have realised by now I read for entertainment and not so that I can say I’ve read the latest Booker prize winner.

I will definitely buy the next two of these if I see them in the 99p section…

I hope you all are having a wonderful week.

Just to throw it out there….Last night was a charity do at our local Spa, and Matt Cardle sang a few songs. Such a good voice!

My Niece was Stage manager, and she may…or may not have ‘acquired’ his water bottle….

SmileX

1 comment:

  1. hmm, interesting. the book looks spooky and by the sound of prophecy, etc. it sounds pretty dark too. kinda gives me the creeps!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete