Sunday, 15 January 2012

Christmas at Tiffany’s. Book review No.1

 

christmas at tiffanys by karen swan

It’s taken me a while to get my first book review of 2012 done, but that is not an omen for the rest of the year believe me. At last count I had about 70 books in my to-be-read piles which are breeding all over my house, and I am determined to read every single one of them. Before I buy any more. Yes you read that right. If you hear that I’ve been spotted buying any new books, feel free to call the book police. Or Mr D. Which would probably be worse, as the police don’t have to live with me.

Cassie settled down too young, marrying her first serious boyfriend. Now, ten years later, she is betrayed and broken. With her marriage in tatters and no career or home of her own, she needs to work out where she belongs in the world and who she really is. So begins a year-long trial as Cassie leaves her sheltered life in rural Scotland to stay with each of her best friends in the most glamorous cities in the world: New York, Paris and London. Exchanging grouse moor and mousy hair for low-carb diets and high-end highlights, Cassie tries on each city for size as she attempts to track down the life she was supposed to have been leading, and with it, the man who was supposed to love her all along.

First five sentences… Kelly Hartford looked out of the taxi window and scanned the horizon for a landmark-a loch or a folly or a particularly tall tree-that might give her some clue that they were heading in the right direction.  It was exactly ten years to the day that she had visited, and she had forgotten how far beyond the back of beyond her friend lived.   Apart from a few tiny crofters cottages on the moor, they’d not passed a house or car in over thirty miles.  Kelly didn’t know how Cassie stuck it.

A sunbeam streamed through the window, dazzling her momentarily and she rooted around in her handbag for a pair of shades.  She had aso forgotten how much longer the days were up here in the summer.

Where I got my hands on it..  Good ole Santa AKA Mum brought me this.  It sat in my Christmas hamper along with several other books and I was excited to get a Christmassy book as I love them.

The cover.. I had spotted this cover on the shelves of WHS. It stood out to me due to it’s Christmassy feel, the fact that it had Tiffany’s in the title was another winner as what girl does not long for a little blue box with a white ribbon? The cover picture is a snowy Central Park. Exactly where I would like to be in the snow one year.

Made me want to…  Cassie goes travelling to 3 cities after finding out her marriage of ten years is not as it seemed.  Her 3 friends take it in turns to show them their cities so we get to go with Cassie to New York, Paris and London.  She re-creates herself in each city, and her friends get to play with the ‘Cassie Doll’. This is supposed to enable Cassie to ‘find herself’ and see who she really is if not a wife.  The travelling does seem quite appealing, to spend four months in each city. I could enjoy that, if I put my mind to it…

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?..  This is coming to a friends tonight where we are going for our annual post Christmas dinner

I did enjoy this book, but I have to admit I felt a bit diddled. The cover and the title had me thinking it was a Christmassy book, and so I read it first…but it turned out not to be the case. Even though I enjoyed going on Cassie’s adventures there was still a niggling feeling of having been robbed followed me..

It’s been a lazy Sunday here today, Mr D has been off teaching the eldest Niece to trials ride, while I’ve been sitting in front of my fire (the cold snap has arrived) with my littlest Niece.  We shopped for shoes on line, ate far to many party rings, and I did a blog post over Here on the Vintage Bike Overhaul we did for eldest Nieces Christmas..go check it out, and tell me you’re not gonna zip tie flower garlands to your bike tomorrow!

vintage bike gift

It’s a new week, and I’m loving 2012 so far, I’ll tell you why next time.

SmileX

9 comments:

  1. Blogger wouldn't let me comment on your last post, grrr. But I must say major purple coat envy!
    Ooh to be sat by a fire right now. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds idyllic, we have also had a lazy Sunday, lots of lounging about doing our own things, we have also had a roast dinner and a few games! 'we' are me and hubby, and three children. It's been nice to hunker down and shut out the cold, our duck and five chickens are feeling it though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any book that has one of my daughters names in is on the path to me wanting to read it straight away.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a book... I want an other Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grrr, don't you just hate being diddled out of Christmas in a book?! I waited pretty much all year to read a book which went so far as to have a Christmas tree on the front and pretty much the only mention of Christmas in the story was about putting lights/decorations on the outside of a pair of cottages.
    I'm glad you reviewed this book as I'd been eyeing it up in Waterstones; I must remember not to get seduced by it when December comes around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Monday. I like the cover photo a lot. It's weird that it is not really a Christmas book.
    I got a new bike:) Thank you for the kind words!


    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 2012! That book looks so good--the cover is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great review! I'm like you, I have SO many books in my queue to read, but I've been really terrible at finding the time. This sounds like a cute book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review. Happy 2012 Claire, I can't wait to see what it has in store for us both!

    ReplyDelete