Monday, 27 February 2012

Book Review’s 4, 5 & 6! Charlaine Harris

Have you noticed a lack of book reviews lately? Well that would be because I’ve been getting my teeth into this series.

The Lily Bard Mysteries by Charlaine Harris.

Charlaine Harris of True Blood Vampire, Witches Werewolves & anything less than human fame..

I had heard of this series and bought 5 of the books when I found them on offer from a book club.

charlaine harris

Lily Bard, resident of Shakespeare, Arkansas, a woman fiercely protective of her privacy, determined to succeed as a one-woman cleaning agency, and just as fiercely determined to excel in karate. When the unpopular and very nosy owner of the apartment building next door is murdered and the body dumped in the local park, Lily reports the body to the police--anonymously. The local police chief, however, is nobody's fool and quickly discovers Lily's involvement and her own past, which makes her a possible suspect. Given the situation and, since she cleans for many of the other possible suspects, some opportunities, Lily decides that the only way to clear her name is to find the real killer.

lily bard shakesperes landlord

For Lily, the gym is a place to get away from her troubles, not find more of them. But when she stumbles on the corpse of a local bodybuilder, his neck broken with a barbell, the town's underlying racial tensions begin to boil over. The white victim was connected to two unsolved murders of black residents in Shakespeare, and a dogged policeman is determined to stop the killing. Lily may have to decide whether to stay and fight for justice, or run away one more time.

shakesperes christmas

Lily Bard is going home for the holidays. More comfortable in baggy sweats than bridesmaid's frills, Lily isn't thrilled about attending her estranged sister's wedding. She has moved to Shakespeare, Arkansas, to start a new life, cleaning houses for a living, trying to forget the violence that once nearly destroyed her. Now she's heading back to home and hearth--just in time for murder.
The town's doctor and nurse have been bludgeoned to death at the office. And Lily's detective boyfriend suddenly shows up at her parents' door. Jack Leeds is investigating an eight-year-old kidnapping and the trail leads straight to Lily's hometown. It just might have something to do with the murders...and her sister's widowed fiancé. With only three days before the wedding, Lily must work fast to clean up the messy case before her sister commits...marriage!

I’m 3 books into this series and I am Loving it.  Lily is a totally different heroine to Sookie Stackhouse of True Blood. Lily has a very dark past which you learn about in book one, and all she wants is to live a quiet life.

I do admit I thought this series may become a bit repetitive and maybe cheesy. I mean how many mysteries can one seemingly ‘normal’ cleaner and errand girl get caught up in without it being far fetched (I’m not sure why I thought this when we all accept the supernatural beings in Harris’s other series so readily) But this fear has long gone and I am rooting for Lily all the way.

These books are fairly small at about 200 pages and we all know that this is an important consideration as you can take them with you anywhere and whip them out to pass a few minutes whilst at the bus stop/coffee shop/Drs waiting room/supermarket queue…..oh maybe not the last one….but maybe…

I can’t tell you enough to go and get yourself some copies of these.

I have read some books from Charlaine’s  ‘Grave sight’ series which I also loved. And in my possession I have an omnibus of The Aurora Teagarden series.  Anyone read these?

Honestly, the days just aren’t long enough for all the reading I have to do.

SmileX

8 comments:

  1. I really need to make time to read for non-school purposes. I miss it!

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are next on my list after I have read everything on my books shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your book reviews...You've now inspired me to go get in bed with my book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of the Charlaine Harris books besides the first few in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I may just have to branch out a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy your book reviews. Hope you are feeling better after the weekend.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read her True Blood books but these sound so good too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read the Sookie Stack house ones - maybe this should be next on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These books sound awesome! I love the True Blood series, so I'll have to check these out!

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete