Wednesday, 18 April 2012

(Welcome to) Rosie Hopkins Sweet Shop of Dreams Book review no. 9

I just read this, and couldn’t wait to tell you all about it.

rosie hopkin's sweet shop of dreams

Were you a sherbet lemon or chocolate lime fan? Penny chews or hard boiled sweeties (you do get more for your money that way)? The jangle of your pocket money ...the rustle of the pink and green striped paper bag ...Rosie Hopkins thinks leaving her busy London life, and her boyfriend Gerard, to sort out her elderly Aunt Lilian's sweetshop in a small country village is going to be dull. Boy, is she wrong. Lilian Hopkins has spent her life running Lipton's sweetshop, through wartime and family feuds. As she struggles with the idea that it might finally be time to settle up, she also wrestles with the secret history hidden behind the jars of beautifully coloured sweets. Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams - a novel - with recipes.

First five sentences… Sour Plooms.  This is a Scots term that translates as Sour Plums, but in its original language imitates exactly the contortion of your mouth as soon as you pop one in.  More of an endurance exercise than a threat, this is a hard candy of exquisite, roof of the mouth stripping bitter intensity: the occasional rush of sweetness comes as a blessed relief.  Near-impossible to bite and still maintain an entire set of teeth, they are therefore the ideal purchase for the pocket money strapped child as, number one, they last for ever, and number two they are something of a rarefied taste and therefore require less sharing than other sweets.  Downsides include being a choking hazard: thier bright green colour which renders them very visible to teachers, and their density-a correctly positioned soor ploom can knock out a dog from forty feet.

Where I got my hands on it.. My name is Claire and I am a sucker for a book about starting up any type of shop. Esp one about an old fashioned sweet shop. So I had to buy it. Just had to.

The cover.. Very much like the last Jenny Colgan book I read..Meet me at the Cup Cake Cafe – read my review here – which told me that it would be written in the same style. And it was. Much to my delight.

Made me.. I am a sweetie lover. Always have been. I thank my parents for never being overly strict when it came to food, I was allowed a 10pence mix on the way to school. Now that sweet shops are making a come back, this book just made me want to own one.

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?.. Sis is getting this next, or mum, as I know that mum enjoyed Meet me at the Cup cake Cafe, so I’m pretty sure she will love this one too.

I read this on my weekend away.  Sat in my home on wheels with the fire glowing. I was transported to Rosie Hopkins Sweet Shop, where i could bite the heads off sugar mice and see how many rainbow drops I could fit in my mouth at once.

SmileX

6 comments:

  1. Wow, thank you for the review. I want to start reading it too. Right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, books, I just got 6 new more, I'm pretty happy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh i'm going to check this out asap. I love you book lists :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was reading about your weekend away I wondered whether you would be doing a book review soon! I read Cup Cake cafe about a month ago and loved it so will definitely be seeking this one out.
    My favourite sweets were lemon sherbets and penny chews.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like just the right kind of distraction I need right now. Might have to look it up on Amazon!

    ReplyDelete