Saturday, 12 May 2012

Book Reviews No’s 10,11 & 12!

I’ve had these three books for what seems like forever, I bought them from a cheap bookstore as a set of three, then realised there are actually 4 books to the series. I thought I’d wait and see if it was worth buying the last one..After having them in one of a pile for so long, it only took me a couple of days to read all three.

the beautiful dead book 1

Something strange is happening in Ellerton High. Phoenix is the fourth teenager to die within a year. His street fight stabbing follows the deaths of Jonas, Summer and Arizona in equally strange and sudden circumstances. Rumours of ghosts and strange happenings rip through the small community as it comes to terms with shock and loss.
Darina, Phoenix’s grief-stricken girlfriend, is on the verge. She can’t escape her intense heartache, or the impossible apparitions of those that are meant to be dead. And all the while the sound of beating wings echo inside her head...
And then one day Phoenix appears to Darina. Ecstatic to be reunited, he tells her about the Beautiful Dead. Souls in limbo, they have been chosen to return to the world to set right a wrong linked to their deaths and bring about justice. Beautiful, superhuman and powerful, they are marked by a ‘death mark’ – a small tattoo of angel’s wings. Phoenix tells her that the sound of invisible wings beating are the millions of souls in limbo, desperate to return to earth.
Darina’s mission is clear: she must help Jonas, Summer, Arizona, and impossibly, her beloved Phoenix, right the wrong linked to their deaths to set them free from limbo so that they can finally rest in peace. Will love conquer death? And if it does, can Darina set it free?

I have to admit I started this book a while back & didn’t get into it, so put it back on the TBR pile to come back to another time. For some reason, even though I didn’t get it the first time, I really really wanted to read these. It’s not often I give up on a book, and then it’s less often that I will pick a book up for a second try.

I’m glad I persevered with this, as I did eventually get into it. So much that I read all 3 in two days while Mr D & I were at the Game Fair.  Antisocial bookworm Claire came out and made an appearance.

the beautiful dead book 2

4 dead teenagers, 4 books. Each book focus’s on one death, unravelling the mystery so that the teenager can go in peace.

Of course they leave the best one till last. When I say best I know obviously I haven't read the last one yet, but that’s the story of Pheonix, Darina’s love and I need to get that book soon so that I can know his story.

If you believe all the Young Adult books out there at the moment, you will be thinking that Darina is your typical Teenager. Skipping school, staying out late…or even all night, to go and lie in the arms of her un dead boyfriend. I do wonder how many parents there are out there who wouldn’t notice their 17yr old is awol for most of the time.

the beautiful dead book 3

So. The question is. Who’s gonna send me the fouth book? Smile

The sun arrived today, semi summer clothing has made an appearance. I looked quite the picture on the back of Mr D’s moped in a skirt, well we like to keep the neighbours talking.

SmileX

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I am not the only bookworm if the book is really good i can't put it down too! I'm glad you have made the most of the sun too, it might not last long!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of these. I am reading 1Q84 by Murakami now. I feel as if I have been reading the same book forever! It is really interesting, but I always have so much to do, I'm unable to finish it.
    Your last notes on summer and the neighbours made me giggle :)

    ReplyDelete