Thursday, 12 July 2012

Book Review no. 15


never can say goodbye christina jones
You may be thinking I’m slacking in the book department this year and that would be partly true.
I have been reading, I’m just being slow at posting reviews.
The main reason for this is I haven't read a book for ages that I would want to tall you all about.
This one has kinda changed that. Well I’m posting so it must have been ok!
It looks, Frankie thought happily to herself, like a proper fabulous frock shop!
Francesca Meredith has always had a penchant for vintage dresses. So when she inherits a retro dress shop in the quaint Berkshire village of Kingston Dapple, it's better than winning the lottery. Life is just perfect for Frankie, but it's about to get complicated when she sees a masculine vision setting up shop outside her door - heart-throb florist Dexter Valentine.
As Frankie tries her best to make 'Francesca's Fabulous Frocks' into a success, Dexter's philandering proves the ultimate distraction. That is, until the village medium insists that Frankie's shop is haunted and Frankie starts witnessing some very strange shenanigans.
Will Dexter think she's crazy? Will Frankie's terribly ordinary life return to normal ever again? Does she even want it to. . .?
First five sentence's….. ‘and to Francesca Angelina Maud Meredith, I bequeath my……. ‘Hang on Rita, Frankie Meredith, perched on the wide and highly polished wooden counter of Rita’s Rent-a-Frock shop, interrupted. I think I might have spotted a flaw there.
‘Really?’ Rita, Frankie’s middle-aged friend and employer, salsa’d between the claustrophobically crammed clothes rails in too-tight, too-short, scarlet silk flamenco dress. ‘And what’s that then?’
‘You can’t bequeath me anything. You’re not dead’.
Where I got it….  This came from the local cheap bookstore, quite recently in a moment of weakness where I was sucked in to the 3 for a fiver deal.
The cover….. I love the cover, the colour, those dresses that i would totally wear with wellies… covers to me are very important. I judge a book by them and I’m not afraid to admit it!
Made me…  want to spend my days selling vintage dresses whilst checking out the local talent across the village square….
Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next?…. This is going to sis as I know she would love the mix of vintage store and ghosts!!
I did really enjoy this book, it’s easy reading chic lit of course, but the mixture of the vintage dress store, romance and a bit of a haunting was just perfect for me.
Mr D & I are off on lorry adventures, and I have a stack of books packed which is a great thing as I’m feeling like I haven't read enough good books this year.
SmileX

6 comments:

  1. My reviews are all mixed up right now... sigh, it's so hard to blog about books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds really interesting. I have a few books that are waiting to be read. I do enjoy your reviews they are always great. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always like to have a good book or three on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Compared to moi, you are never slacking in the reading department! So proud that you've finished yet, another one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this when it came out on hardcover last year and also love the pretty cover. I've not read her early books, but have really enjoyed her last few books which are all set in little Berkshire villages and are a kind of magical chic lit.

    ReplyDelete