Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Tues Night In with The Ballet

The only ballet I’ve ever seen was a local production of The Nutcracker many years ago, when I feared for the dancers safety jumping about on the too small stage of the local Spa Pavilion.

Tonight, through channel hopping, I came across Snow White.  By Angelin Preljocaj.

The costumes made me stop channel hopping, by Jean Paul Gaultier they are pretty cool.

I have to say, I enjoyed it more than a little bit.

Also worth mentioning is the fact that Mr D will be glad he wasn't here. I’m just not sure Ballet would be his cup of tea. Even with sexy costumes.

The following was taken from The Guardian website.

Though Preljocaj was interested in "the fairy-tale tradition of ballet" (classics like Sleeping Beauty or Swan Lake), his starting point for Snow White was the brutal, punitive folk story as told by the Brothers Grimm in 1812. Details in the Grimm's' version, like the evil stepmother being forced to dance to death in red-hot iron shoes, are noticeably absent from Disney's classic 1937 cartoon, but caught Preljocaj's eye.

"It's an incredible tale," he says. "Romantic but also dark and cruel, like a thriller with so many developments." He has emphasised the story's Germanic Romanticism by using Gustav Mahler for the score; but in narrative terms, what interested him most was the psychological conflict between Snow White and her jealous, narcissistic stepmother, no longer the fairest of them all. "I think this is a very modern conflict. Everywhere I go, I see women of 45 or 50, out on the streets with their daughters. With modern medicine and nutrition, these women appear very beautiful, sensual and young. They even share clothes with their daughters. But they no longer have their daughters' youth and freshness. I think we are entering the era of the Snow White complex."

Do you like ballet? What should I see next?

SmileX

4 comments:

  1. I love ballet. When I worked as a journalist I often had to review a performance. I find it mesmerising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to the ballet....

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh thanks. off to watch it now...

    btw, hadn't realised you were on a home with wheels. roughly whereabouts in england?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been a big fan of ballet. My Mum and sister's adore it, so I get dragged along to performances every now and then. I do love what they can do with their bodies though! It's amazing!

    Love the idea of the 'Snow White Complex'. It's true, when you think about it!

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete