Monday, 17 September 2012

Book review no. 20! A Spring Affair

 

a spring affair milly johnson

It’s been a long time coming, but here’s the latest book I read. In fact It’s a while since I even read it, I just have been on a bit of a go slow with books lately.

Partly due to my self imposed book buying drought which means I have to choose from my teetering TBR piles. This is where I realise why most of these books are in the TBR piles, I don’t feel so enthusiastic about reading them. But I’m determined.

I haven't even touched my Amazon e vouchers!

So back to the book.

I bought this in a pack of 3 last year from the cheap on line book store.. The Book People.  I gave two away as Christmas presents, and kept this one to myself.

When Lou Winter picks up a dog-eared magazine in the dentist's waiting room and spots an article about clearing clutter, she little realises how it will change her life. What begins as an earnest spring clean soon spirals out of control. Before long Lou is hiring skips in which to dump the copious amounts of junk she never knew she had. Lou's loved ones grow disgruntled. Why is clearing out cupboards suddenly more important than making his breakfast, her husband Phil wonders? The truth is, the more rubbish Lou lets go of, the more light and air can get to those painful, closed-up places at the centre of her heart: the love waiting for a baby she would never have, the empty space her best friend Deb once occupied, and the gaping wound left by her husband's affair. Even lovely Tom Broom, the man who delivers Lou's skips, starts to grow concerned about his sweetest customer. But Lou is a woman on a mission, and not even she knows where it will end ...

First Five sentences:  Sometimes the cosmos goes to a lot of trouble to help shift a life from it’s rut. On this occasion, for instance, it held up the dental technician on the M1 road works, gave the Practice secretary some tricky double bookings to cope with, and lumbered the dentist, Mr Swiftly, with a particularly  awkward extraction that made his appointments run over by more then an hour. All this so that the ante-room would be extra packed with bored people whiling away the time with the magazines in the rack, leaving just one tatty copy for Mrs Elouise Winter. And not just any mag, Women by Women – the mag for women whose once young and carnal energies were now ploughed into studying variations on hotpot and various crafts which were a bit too fuddy-duddy for Lou, despite the fact that, at thirty five, she was starting to edge dangerously close to the chasm of middle age.  Still, it was better than staring into space or reading posters about plaque.

The cover: Loved the cover of this, although FYI this book was first published in 2009, which means you could be caught out thinking you haven't read it when in a actual fact you bought it a few years ago with a different cover. This has annoyingly happened to me with books in the past where they revamp the cover and I find it beyond annoying.

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next: This will be going in the bag for Granny, whom we will be visiting at the end of October. Better get reading more for her!

I loved this book. It has everything you need in a chic lit easy reading novel. Down trodden wife, horrible selfish husband, and hunky deliverer of skips with cute dog.

I was rooting for Lou to get rid of the junk (AKA husband) and take charge of her life.

This book did make me look around at my own clutter….since reading it I’ve actually cleared and tidied my shed!

I’ll be collecting up the books I gave as gifts by the same author to read soon!

SmileX

 

4 comments:

  1. Ok, from the cover I really would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I might have to check this out!
    P.S. thanks for the sweet words, as always my dear! Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are such a reader!!

    ReplyDelete