Monday, 24 September 2012

Book review No.21! Dorothy Koomson

 

the woman he loved before

I’ve read a couple of other Dorothy Koomson novels, (My best friend’s Girl/The Ice Cream Girls) and have attempted to read some…(The Chocolate Run/Goodnight Beautiful) So When I saw this I was torn between giving it a chance & leaving it on the book store shelf.

Usually when I like one novel by an author, I find other novels by the same author & like them automatically, but this hasn’t happened with Dorothy.

This novel though, after humming and harring for a while, starting to read then leaving it sat on the shelf for longer….I did eventually give it a proper chance.

Am I glad I did.

Libby has a good life with a gorgeous husband and a home by the sea. But over time she is becoming more unsure if Jack has ever loved her - and if he is over the death of Eve, his first wife. When fate intervenes in their relationship, Libby decides to find out all she can about the man she hastily married and the seemingly perfect Eve. But in doing so she unearths devastating secrets. Frightened by what she finds and the damage it could cause, Libby starts to worry that she too will end up like the first woman Jack loved . . .

This novel is a mystery, which is different to the chic lit Dorothy has written in the past. The secrets which Libby unearths in Eve’s secret diaries are quite shocking. It’s not often I don’t guess what will happen in a novel, but the twists and turns in this kept me gripped right to the end!

First 5 sentences: Are you her? Are you the one he’s with now? Is that why you’ve come looking for me? If you aren’t reading this letter fifty or sixty years from now, then it’s likely that I’m dead, probably murdered.  Please don’t be upset by that, it probably won’t have been too much of a surprise to me – not with the life I have lived.

The cover: This cover, like all Dorothy’s covers, features a young black woman. On first glance it looks like a chic lit book, but when you have read the story the cover makes more sense.

Where I got it: You’re probably getting to know by now that a lot of my books come from a cheap store in town which have a 3 for 5.00 deal on all the time….!

Who’s the lucky duck that’s getting it next: This will be put aside for a friend when I see her next, which will probably be around Christmas (eeeeek the C word!)

This book really was a pleasant surprise, I hadn’t expected it to grip me as much as it did,  especially near the end!

Have you ever been surprised by a book?

SmileX

1 comment:

  1. That books sounds great! I'll have to check it out!

    How come you didn't like "Goodnight, Beautiful"?

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete