Tuesday, 29 January 2013

On being In Love and trying not to Feel Smug about it

I find it quite strange when people around me spend a lot of their time moaning about the men in their lives. This has been happening a lot lately, with people who I would call acquaintances rather than any of my real close friends.

Don’t get me wrong, I know that much of the time it’s just girls having a bit of a laugh at the expense of the boys, comparing who’s man is the most annoying/does less around the house, a sisterhood, you know, ha ha aren’t we all in this together.

I just find that some moan constantly. The boys don’t look after the kids enough, they never do the shopping, they are crap with money, and even if they offer to take the girls out…well it seems this is a hidden agenda.

174

If the tables were turned? If it were the boys sitting around comparing notes? Well you can imagine how that might go down.

I find myself sitting on the outskirts, chuckling in the right places, all the while feeling quite sad for these girls that they never found their soul mate. Or if they did, they seem to have forgotten.

One girl even said to me why was I being so quiet. My reply?

I was just thinking, it seems like I married the right man.

It’s Mr D’s Birthday tomorrow.

SmileX

9 comments:

  1. Awww lovely, Claire.
    Happy birthday to the Mr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been in this position a few times myself so know just where you're coming from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very sweet post!

    It is very sad that the joy of being married to ones best friend is forgotten. I'm not married, and I know marriage is tough and takes loads of work, but you get to be married to your best friend! What a great way to go through life!

    -Kirsten
    mylifetintedpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been married for nearly 17 years, and right at the start, I decided I would not moan about him and that I would concentrate on the good side of him (actually the good 99% of him!). I felt that criticising him would show that I had no sense or good taste; if he's so lousy, why was I such a twit as to marry him? (He is, in fact, a wonderful man.) And I am very happy and so is he; we've been through hell together the last 2 years but love each other more than ever. It's so lovely to read such a positive post. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Mr D and a lovely post to show your appreciation of him. I know I married the right man too!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely hear you. I think it is quite sad when they moan about the man they love and forget about why they love them in the first place. I'm glad you still appreciate your hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear a lot of complaining from my older coworkers, and I used to do the same when I was with Dustin.

    Now I'm with Izzy and I can only sing his praises.

    It's hard not to feel smug!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so sweet, I'm glad it's good for you! I hope I find that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean. Mr LG is my very best friend and I love every moment I spend with him - even if it's something like right now - he's watching TV and I'm reading blogs. Just knowing that I can peer over my laptop and see him on the couch is nice.

    I think it's sad when people complain about their partners. I always wonder, have they talked to each other about it? Communication is hugely important to any relationship.

    I'm so glad you and Mr D are still so happy together!

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete