Thursday, 28 March 2013

Poison/Magic/Fire Study (Book reviews 4, 5 & 6!)

I seem to have a growing pile of books ready to review on this here blog, (in each of the  past two years I’ve read 29 books, so far in 2013, I have read 11) So I thought I would get to it!

poison study trilogy

I found this Trilogy in the book room of the charity shop I volunteer in. Oh I love that room. I’d love it more if it were bigger, had a squishy sofa and/or coffee machine, but hey can’t have everything…

This was my first go at reading  Maria V. Snyder, and to give you an idea of what I thought, I read the whole trilogy in a week.

I could not put them down.

I think they are YA but to be honest they would definitely be in the older teenage range as some of the scenes are pretty dark and disturbing.

Poison Study: About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace - and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia. And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust - and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonising death from the poison. As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear...

Magic Study: Completing her apprenticeship could prove deadly...With an execution order on her head, Yelena has no choice but to escape to Sitia, the land of her birth. With only a year to master her magic - or face death - Yelena must begin her apprenticeship and travels to the Four Towers of the Magician's Keep.But nothing in Sitia is familiar. Not the family to whom she is a stranger. Not the unsettling new facets of her magic. Nor the brother who resents her return. As she struggles to understand where she belongs and how to control her rare powers, a rogue magician emerges - and Yelena catches his eye.Suddenly she is embroiled in battle of good against evil. And once again it will be her magical abilities that will either save her life...or be her downfall.

Fire Study: In the sensational sequel to "Poison Study" and "Magic Study", Yelena's apprenticeship is over - now her real test has begun. When word that Yelena is a Soulfinder - able to capture and release souls - spreads like wildfire, people grow uneasy. Already Yelena's unusual abilities and past have set her apart. As the Council debates Yelena's fate, she receives a disturbing message: a plot is rising against her homeland, led by a murderous sorcerer she has defeated before. Honour sets Yelena on a path that will test the limits of her skills, and the hope of reuniting with her beloved spurs her onward. Her journey is fraught with allies, enemies, lovers and would-be assassins, each of questionable loyalty. Yelena will have but one chance to prove herself - and save the land she holds dear.

These books were something that bit different, after so far reading a whole run of easy chic lit novels all cupcakes and roses, these were definitely that bit on the darker side of life.  Full of Magic, Mystery & Fantasy. I can imagine this being adapted for film as in The Hunger Games, as while I was reading I couldn’t help imagine how the scenes would play out on screen.

If you like a bit of fantasy & magic, read these!

SmileX

2 comments:

  1. They sound great another lot of books I will have to keep my eye out for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I might have to try these. I've read another series by Maria Snyder. There are soo many YA books that are being made into movies :)

    ReplyDelete