Sunday, 7 July 2013

Vivien’s Heavenly Ice cream Shop. Book review No. 9

 

vivian's heavenly icecream shop

When Imogen and Anna unexpectedly inherit their grandmother Vivien's ice cream parlour, it turns both their lives upside-down. The Brighton shop is a seafront institution, but while it's big on charm it's critically low on customers. If the sisters don't turn things around quickly, their grandmother's legacy will disappear forever.
With summer looming, Imogen and Anna devise a plan to return Vivien's to its former glory. Rather than sell up, they will train up, and make the parlour the newest destination on the South Coast foodie map.
While Imogen watches the shop, her sister flies to Italy to attend a gourmet ice cream-making course. But as she works shoulder-to-shoulder with some of the best chefs in the industry, Anna finds that romance can bloom in the most unexpected of places...

You and I both know that there would not be the remotest possibility of me passing this book by on the shelf. I mean. Look at it.  And the title.  Argh.

So, of course I bought it. And read it on the weekend whilst away in our home on wheels. It rained. a lot. The perfect excuse to sit inside and read.

You’ve probably noticed the run of novels lately of people being left sweet shops, or opening cup cake cafes so I guess it was only a matter of time before someone got left an ice cream parlour.

I have to say there were no great surprises in this tale, everything that I would expect to happen did. Including the buying by Imogen of a battered old retro ice cream van to take to festivals. Then there’s the evil step Aunt wanting to turn the parlour into a posh restaurant. Having said that I enjoyed it. A lot.

The book reminded me of my time managing a sea front ice cream parlour/coffee shop, the home made Italian ice cream, the rainy days sat by myself, I did wonder how on earth the sisters thought it would be ok to make the ice cream at home and then sell it through the shop…no health certificate in sight and a little dose of food poisoning, my goodness what on earth did Imogen do to the ice cream to manage that!!

This book has joined the collection on my shelf. With all the other cafe/tea related books that I dream will one day be sitting on the bookshelf of my own tea room Smile

Perfect book for summer reading, and at the end you even get some lovely ice cream recipes to try for yourself.

SmileX

1 comment:

  1. We can keep dreaming of opening our own tea shops cant we? Hopefully one day our dreams will come true.

    ReplyDelete