Monday, 7 October 2013

Before I Met You Lisa Jewell Book Review no 15

 

before-i-met-you

Having grown up on the quiet island of Guernsey, Betty Dean can't wait to start her new life in London. On a mission to find Clara Pickle - the mysterious beneficiary in her grandmother's will - she arrives in grungy, 1990s Soho, ready for whatever life has to throw at her. Or so she thinks...
In 1920s bohemian London, Arlette - Betty's grandmother - is starting her new life in a time of post-war change. Beautiful and charismatic, Arlette is soon drawn into the hedonistic world of the Bright Young People. But less than two years later, tragedy strikes and she flees back to Guernsey for the rest of her life.
As Betty searches for Clara, she is taken on a journey through Arlette's extraordinary time in London, uncovering a tale of love, loss and heartbreak. Will the secrets of Arlette's past help Betty on her path to happiness?

I bought this with a book  token, I have read quite a lot of  Lisa Jewell in the past but to be honest none of the books have stuck in my head, and I stopped reading her for a while. This one appealed to me first because I liked the cover,(I’m so shallow) and second because some of the story is set in London in the twenties, and I am becoming a bit of a fan of that time. (must.watch.The.Great.Gatsby.)

I wasn’t disappointed, Lisa Jewell is often thought of as chic lit, but actually this book is a lot more than that. It’s a mystery which flips between the eras of the 20’s and mid 90’s.

I took this book away with me for the weekend, and I think I may have been a teeny bit rude to the man who sat under our shelter to wait for his family, I was so engrossed in the mystery I really really didn’t meant to be entering into polite conversation with him. I really don’t care that you are enjoying watching the tank go around the arena, can’t you see I’m trying to read!!!

This has made me much more likely to pick up a Lisa book in the future!

SmileX

No comments:

Post a Comment