Saturday, 12 October 2013

Marriage & Other Games Book review No. 16

 

marriage and other games

When Charlotte Briggs' husband Ed is sent down for fraud, she cannot find it in her heart to forgive him for what he has done. Ostracised from their social circle, she flees to the wilds of Exmoor to nurse her broken heart. But despite the slower pace of life, she soon finds that she is not the only person whose life is in turmoil. There's Sebastian, enfant terrible of the British art scene, desperately trying to find his muse amongst the empty bottles. Then Fitch, who married the high-spirited Hayley thinking he would find wedded bliss, but instead has found marital hell. And finally Penny, local GP and recent divorcee, who is determined not to hurtle into middle age embittered and lonely. Over the long winter months, the four of them share advice, copious bottles of wine, laughter ...and maybe more.

This book came out of the book room of the charity shop I volunteer in. To say I am in book heaven a couple of afternoons a week would be the understatement of the century.

I don’t think I’ve ever read this author before. I say I don’t think as I admit to reading so much chic lit that sometimes they blur into each other. There aren’t many chic lit books that I remember a year later, and although I did enjoy this one, It definitely will be in the ‘have I read that one or not’ section in the book shop next year.

A chic lit book based in the country. How many of those are there on the shelf I wonder, It has plenty of those moments that are so predictable and yet you are pleased they happen.

I read this book months ago and the fact its taken me so long to admit that speaks volumes.

SmileX

1 comment:

  1. Not bookie related, but just wanted to follow up on your comment. I'm so sorry you lost your black babe, my family has seen a few deaths in our days. I love Zo so much so it's hard to imagine that one day she'll be old and ready to pass. Sometimes being an animal lover is so painful!

    ReplyDelete