Tuesday, 7 January 2014

Dressmaking


sewing book
Tonight is my first evening at my ‘dressmaking beginners’ course, I’m excited, as I know it’s going to be fun, quite informal at the teachers house, with a small group of people, but I did have a panic about looking like a complete idiot & not knowing the ‘sewing ‘lingo’ so I went out at the weekend to my local library & took out a couple of books to prepare myself.
I have only ever done very basic sewing on my machine which used to be my grannie’s, but my mum is great with a machine and hand sewing, so I do feel like I should have inherited some skills, they just haven't surfaced yet.
sewing
Choosing a pattern was quite difficult as I didn't want to get something which would be well beyond my capabilities, but equally I want to learn a variety skills, so the dress above (I’m thinking of making the yellow one with sleeves) has some gathering (yikes!) and a zip and one button.
Thank heaven for the nice lady who served me in the fabric shop, who helped me see how much fabric to buy, and what colour zipper & thread. Oh & interfacing. Whatever that is.
I’ll be sure to keep you updated on my sewing progress.
SmileX

8 comments:

  1. I went on an introduction to dressmaking course in October. It was on 2 consecutive Saturdays, shift work prevents a weekly course, and luckily I happened to have those weekends off.
    Hope you have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had fun, will look forward to hearing how you got on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sewing is one of those skills that I definitely wish I had but don't have the patience for - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy.....you will be great!
    I wish I could have the fun and magic of learning all over again....that feeling of your first ever completed garment....please be sure to show and tell
    bestest Daisy xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good luck with this, something I've always wanted to do but every time I put my hand to it I just go horribly wrong! Can't wait to hear about your progress...Happy New Year to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck, I am sure you will be a natural. I really must dust off my sewing machine! However that will be to learn patchwork quilting. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. yah i want to know how it goes, that is cool!

    ReplyDelete