Monday, 30 June 2014

Revived by Cat Patrick Book review No. 13


revived
It started with a bus crash.
Daisy Appleby was a little girl when it happened, and she barely remembers the accident or being brought back to life. At that moment, though, she became one of the first subjects in a covert government program that tests a drug called Revive.
Now fifteen, Daisy has died and been Revived five times. Each death means a new name, a new city, a new identity. The only constant in Daisy's life is constant change.
Then Daisy meets Matt and Audrey McKean, charismatic siblings who quickly become her first real friends. But if she's ever to have a normal life, Daisy must escape from an experiment that's much larger--and more sinister--than she ever imagined.
From its striking first chapter to its emotionally charged ending, Cat Patrick's Revived is a riveting story about what happens when life and death collide.
I bought this from the charity shop along with Forgotten. They must have been donated at the same time as they were there together in the stock room, I thought about buying them but I put them off until I came across them in the book room the next week. Then I just couldn’t help myself.
We don’t sell that much YA fiction in the charity shop which surprises me. Maybe Young people these days just need to buy their books new. I think I was probably one of those people years ago.
So, Revival. Coming back from the dead isn’t exactly an original idea for a YA novel, and I did wonder at first if this would be another heroine walking around at night and hiding from daylight kind of novel, but then I realised it was all about the government agency and I thought aha, that’s a turn up for the books.
I have to admit I expected a little bit more from this, what, I’m not quite sure, just something, but then I have to keep reminding myself that it is YA fiction, so actually it was an enjoyable read, which I managed in a couple of days, and a pretty original idea as plots go.
I kept imagining he scenes in this book as a film, I think it could be one, maybe with a couple of bits added.
SmileX

2 comments:

  1. We sorted some of the books from our loft the weekend, part of my massive declutter still going on. I couldn't believe just how many we have between us. AND we could only bear to part with a few which filled 5 big ikea bags.

    I even found a few I hadn't read. No more books for me!

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me a little bit of Orphan Black. Have you watched the series?

    ReplyDelete