Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Spare Brides Adele Parks Book Review no. 20


spare brides adele parks
Damaged and beautiful, they were the generation who lost so much and became 'spare brides'. The richly compelling and emotional new novel from Sunday Times bestselling author Adele Parks is the powerful story of four extraordinary women left to pick up the pieces of their lives, in the scarred, glamorous and endlessly fascinating post-First World War era.
New Year's Eve, 1920. The Great War is over and it's a new decade of glamorous promise. But a generation of men and women who survived the extreme trauma and tragedy will never be the same.
With countless men lost, it seems that only wealth and beauty will secure a husband from the few who returned, but lonely Beatrice has neither attribute. Ava has both, although she sees marriage as a restrictive cage after the freedom war allowed. Sarah paid the war's ultimate price: her husband's life. Lydia should be grateful that her own husband's desk job kept him safe, but she sees only his cowardice.
A chance encounter for one of these women with a striking yet haunted officer changes everything. In a world altered beyond recognition, where not all scars are visible, this damaged and beautiful group must grasp any happiness they can find - whatever the cost
I’m a fan of Adele, I think I’ve read all if not most of her novels. I found this one when my purse was being weighed down with book tokens from my birthday so of course I snapped it up.
Set in post WW1 this is Adele’s first dip into historical fiction. I haven't read a lot of this genre so I haven't much to compare it too, but I did like it. I love the glamour and glitz of the 1920’s. Adele does well to conjure up this image but also the sadness of the men returning from war, and the women who have suffered loss.
Like most (all)? of Adele’s novels this is a book about women. Four female friends and how the Great War has effected them.
This is a romance novel with history thrown in. Being the 100th anniversary year of the beginning of WW1 this couldn't have been published at a better time, providing people like me with an interesting and entertaining way of learning how women were effected.
If you have an interest in the social effects of WW1 you may well like it, f you don’t mind the romance. For me, it had the right mixture of both.
SmileX

2 comments:

  1. This sounds right up my street. I will need to keep an eye out for a copy.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds good, my nan was a young girl n ww1 xx

    ReplyDelete