Saturday, 11 October 2014

Before I Go to Sleep S.J.Watson. Book Review No.21


before i go to sleep
'As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me...'
Memories define us. So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep? Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love — all forgotten overnight. And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story.
Welcome to Christine's life.
I was given this book by a friend in the summer, it had been passed to her by her mum and they both really enjoyed it, so she thought I would too. This usually fills me with dread. Don’t get me wrong, I love it when friends give me books, I am regularly on the receiving end of a carrier bag of books from various people who know I am a reader (huge) and I love it. But when they pass me one lonesome book and say how much they loved it,  how good it is and I really have to read it too? That for some reason makes me feel under pressure. Pressure to read it. And enjoy it. 
The reason I read this in the end after passing it over in favour of others on the teetering to-be-read pile, is that I heard the film was coming out, under a lot of hype, so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
I did really enjoy it. (Phew). The only thing I thought was how much Christine would have to read of her journal by the time a few months had passed, I mean there would be so much to read in the morning to prepare herself for the day, the day would nearly be over. The brain is a very complex thing, memory loss is usually connected to older people, imagine looking in the mirror and expecting to see a woman half your age which was the last memory you had of yourself. Imagine not knowing who your husband is and having to believe him, then realising (after reading your journal everyday) that he isn't telling you the same answers to the questions you ask every day. Why have you not told your husband about the Doctor you’ve been seeing, the DR who rings you daily to remind you where you hide your journal.
Gripping.
SmileX

4 comments:

  1. The book was a bit dragging at first, don't you think? But halfway there, all those plot twists came! It was fun and thrilling but a bit predictable when you think about it. I agree with what you said about reading the journal everyday! I just thought she wakes up really early :P Haha! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this out from the library today because it sounded intriguing - I hope I'm not disappointed either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked it too, great idea for a book but I thought it was a bit gappy. Some things just didn't quite add up. I'm going to watch the film though, isn't it Nicole Kidman?? Hmm might be wrong but yes the pressure of reading an adored book..yikes!

    ReplyDelete