Monday, 3 November 2014

All Fall Down Jennifer Weiner Book Review No. 22


all fall down novel
Allison Weiss got her happy ending: a handsome husband, an adorable daughter, a job she loves, and the big house in the suburbs. But while waiting in the paediatrician's office, she opens a magazine to a quiz about addiction and starts to wonder: Is a Percocet at the end of the day really different from a glass of wine? Is it such a bad thing to pop a Vicodin after a brutal Jump & Pump class, or if your husband ignores you? She tells herself that the pills help her make it through her days; but what if her increasing drug use, a habit that's becoming expensive and hard to hide, is turning into her biggest problem of all?
If you think I chose this book because it has a tea cup on the cover you are probably more than  little bit right, but after reading the back I was intrigued. I remember the first time I became aware that people were actually able to get addicted to prescription drugs was when I was a huge ‘Friends’ fan (remember the headlines of  Matthew Perry’s addiction?) Thinking about it now and the line of work I’m in I see it. People can be addicted to anything, it’s not just back alley way deals, it’s your average person sitting next to you on the bus who looks like they are  just like you.
Jennifer’s other novels have been very chic lit, which although are great (I read a lot of chic lit) are a bit forgettable. (I only knew I’d read them when I looked them up because I recognised the covers) Here she tackles a much more serious subject, an upper class mother/wife/daughter/blogger who is speeding down the addiction highway whilst trying to keep her life together and everybody happy.
I really enjoyed this novel, because although the subject was pretty serious, it is told in a very relatable way, which makes you look at the people around you thinking, it could very easily be them.
SmileX

1 comment:

  1. Books are just such a great escape! What was the really famous book that Jennifer wrote? I just can't seem to remember

    ♡Tallia
    Trending In Fashion

    ReplyDelete