Saturday, 8 November 2014

Bettys tea room (yep I’m going on about them again!)


kirstin bettys
You and I all know I have a bit of a ‘thing’ for tea rooms right? And you know that Bettys would be the reason I could move to Yorkshire yesterday right?
A trip up North to visit Granny always includes a cup of tea and slice of cake in the wonderful Northallerton branch, and this time we were joined by biggest Niece.
And right there could be the problem. Kirstin has recently changed her diet to gluten free. This could be bad,  imagine going all the way there, coming face to face with all the yummy cakes, and not being able to eat anything.
I decided to use the ‘contact us’ form on their website and ask the question, will Kirstin be disappointed (and hungry) when we come to visit?
I was contacted by phone the very next day by a lovely lady who explained that yes they did have items on the menu which were gluten free (although she did give the usual talk of how it’s all cooked in the same kitchen, I think that’s probably standard for most places) Kirstin would not go sad & hungry after all.
bettys tea pot
We were all happy, Kirstin had a slab of gluten free chocolate cake (served by a lady who seemed just as thrilled to serve it as Kirstin was to eat it) with her tea (and yes those tea pots are as heavy as they look), I got my fix of Bettys & stocked up on tea bags, and even littlest Niece who was at home with her dad got a goodie bag brought back for her.
bettys yummies
 
It saddens me that there are many southern people who look at me blankly when I talk about Bettys (which is quite a lot). Really they need to get out more.
SmileX

7 comments:

  1. Here I am in Oz and even I know about Betty's!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love Betty's too - not surprisingly as I have one on my doorstep here in Harrogate. I've never been to the Northallerton branch but I can imagine it's just as lovely. Glad you had a nice trip to Yorkshire x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Betty's. Have been know to make a special trip to Harrogate for the sole purpose of having tea and cake there. Bought some beautiful florentines last Christmas which I shall miss this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm Sussex born and bred but I know about Betty's even tho I've never been there.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so lovely, and good news for us people with special dietary requirements!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a fun place! And so cool that they have gluten free options too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a southerner, but I've never visited Betty's. I have heard of it at least!

    ReplyDelete