Wednesday, 12 November 2014

The night we finally had the first Book Club meeting! (& Book Review No.23!)


books and tea2
You remember that time I gate crashed a book club? Well now I got my own. A group of girls I know from work decided we would use it as an excuse to get together for gossip as well as to broaden our reading horizons so to speak.  We decided this way back in the summer, and quickly decided on our first book. I chose it. Because yes I will admit I wanted to take some kind of control over the thing. I wanted to make sure the chosen book wasn’t overly chic litty, overly gory, or one of those books people read for book clubs because they think they should as back in the dark ages it won some literary prize.
Everyone agreed it looked like a good first choice.
before we met
This wouldn’t be the kind of book I would  immediately pick off the shelf normally, but I read it in about 3 days, staying up till the wee small hours one night because I was so engrossed.
Hannah, independent, headstrong, and determined not to follow in the footsteps of her bitterly divorced mother, has always avoided commitment. But one hot New York summer she meets Mark Reilly, a fellow Brit, and is swept up in a love affair that changes all her ideas about what marriage might mean.
Now, living in their elegant, expensive London townhouse and adored by her fantastically successful husband, she knows she was right to let down her guard.
But when Mark does not return from a business trip to the U.S. and when the hours of waiting for him stretch into days, the foundations of Hannah’s certainty begin to crack. Why do Mark’s colleagues believe he has gone to Paris not America? Why is there no record of him at his hotel? And who is the mysterious woman who has been telephoning him over the last few weeks?
Hannah begins to dig into her husband’s life, uncovering revelations that throw into doubt everything she has ever believed about him. As her investigation leads her away from their fairytale romance into a place of violence and fear she must decide whether the secrets Mark has been keeping are designed to protect him or protect her
This book is said to be a British Gone Girl. Although I haven’t read Gone Girl I did see the movie (LOVED it) and I would agree.  The secrets that can lie behind a marriage. Can you ever really know what went on in the life of your partner before you met?
Back to the book club, we sat around the hosts lounge, supping tea out of china cups and scoffing the feast of food she had made, whilst regretting the full dinner we had all already eaten at home. (Note to self: next time this particular member hosts the book club starve for the day)
2 members hadn’t finished the book, which whilst I don’t mind (we aren’t at school after all) for this particular book it was difficult as we didn’t want to give too much away. So instead we had a bit of a discussion about how sure we are of our partners pasts, if they could actually physically empty our bank accounts and the joys of Google (something quite surprising came to light which I will post about another time).
It was fun, I would say successful, even when we started to slip and start talking about work, we snapped out of it and got back to the subject in hand.
The next book was chosen, a date not quite set, but loosely marked in the diary and I left a happy book club member.
SmileX

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really good book! Some friends and I tried to start a book club once but failed to ever get together to discuss the book! Sometimes I think a book club would be helpful to force me to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh this sounds really good! I think a book club would be fun but I HATE reading for deadlines so I'd probably slack if I was in one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will check my library to see if they have this in, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so intrigued, I definitely have to read this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Gone Girl I will certainly have to check this out... thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete