Friday, 27 February 2015

Recent Reads


001
I thought I’d change how I post my book reviews this year, instead of a post per book, I shall just review a few, or one, or lots depending on how I feel.
Lately I’ve been reading some thrillers, but as you can see, I can’t turn down any books about a tea shop.
The book of you by Clare Kendal.
A terrifying psychological thriller about obsession and power, perfect for fans of Gone Girl and Before I Go to Sleep.
Clarissa is becoming more and more frightened of her colleague, Rafe. He won’t leave her alone, and he refuses to take no for an answer. He is always there.
Being selected for jury service is a relief. The courtroom is a safe haven, a place where Rafe can’t be. But as a violent tale of kidnap and abuse unfolds, Clarissa begins to see parallels between her own situation and that of the young woman on the witness stand.
Realizing that she bears the burden of proof, Clarissa unravels the twisted, macabre fairytale that Rafe has spun around them – and discovers that the ending he envisions is more terrifying than she could have imagined
I chose this book as a possible read for my Book Club. It wasn’t chosen in the end but I read it anyway. I haven’t read anything like this before, and really liked it. It was a gripping read, but pretty dark compared to my usual reads. I found some of it quite disturbing and found myself wondering what makes some authors want to write books like this. Doing the research must be quite harrowing sometimes.  Having read Gone Girl and before I go to Sleep, I would agree if you enjoyed those as I did, you will probably enjoy this as well.
I like to think if I were ever the victim of a stalker I would be able to get rid of them pretty quickly, I thought I would find Clarissa annoying and weak, but this was not the case at all, and I found the story very believable. I read this in a about 4 days.
The Teashop on the Corner  by Milly Johnson.
At her beloved husband's funeral, Carla Pride discovers that Martin never divorced his first wife and has been living a double life with her. And his other wife, Julie Pride, is determined to take everything from Carla - her home, her money, and her memories.
When Will Linton's business goes bust he at least thinks that with the support of his trophy wife Nicole he will rise to the top again. But Nicole isn't going to stick around with 'a loser' and Will finds himself at rock bottom.
Molly Jones is being bullied into going into a retirement home by her 'concerned' daughter-in-law Sherry and son Gram. Then the love of Molly's life walks in through her door - a man who broke Molly's heart into little pieces many years ago. But he says he is dying and wants to spend the time he has left with her.
All people in need of a little love and compassion which they find by chance in the stationery and teashop on the corner run by the ever-cheerful Leni, a woman that site developer Shaun McCarthy finds annoying beyond annoying for her ability to remain unrealistically upbeat about everything.
But is the world of Leni Merryman as full of rainbows and sparkles as everyone thinks? Or is her smile papering over many cracks in her heart that will soon be shattered unwittingly by her new friends?
Of course I was going to buy this. But you may be surprised if I told you it sat on my TBR pile for many months. I’m not sure why, maybe I was scared that it would be all fluff and no substance and that I would be disappointed. I never want to be disappointed by a book about a Tea Shop. I enjoyed this book a lot. I loved all the characters, found them all to be people I would like in real life, felt for them and their personal dramas and the fact that the tea room is also a literary themed gift shop. Well that just did it really. You may have noticed an abundance of novels based around baking, tea rooms, sweet shops etc at the moment, and I would like to bet there isn’t many I haven't read, so you might think I would be past it. This one was up to scratch though. This isn’t the one that will make me stop buying them.
Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?
A compulsively readable, emotionally immersive, Hitchcockian thriller that draws comparisons to Gone Girl, The Silent Wife, or Before I Go to Sleep, this is an electrifying debut embraced by readers across markets and categories
Mr D bought me this for valentines day. It’s difficult to buy a reader a book, you just never really know if they have read it or if they want to, you don’t really know if it’s in one of the many piles of books dotted around the house waiting to be read. But he said he saw this and knew this was the one. Which is quite a feat because until lately I really haven't read a lot of thrillers. Being hard back he was on a fair bet I wouldn’t have it as I don’t usually buy them due to them being a. too expensive and b. not very portable.
It seems every new thriller out there is being compared to Gone Girl and Before I go to Sleep. I liked this one more than the others, I read it in a couple of days, and if I didn’t have to work for a living I’d have finished it in one sitting. The story is told by the 3 female characters, one a cheat, one an alcoholic and one a liar.  Who to trust. The shocking thing Rachel sees isn’t actually that shocking, it’s not at all what I was expecting. This is a gripping who dunnit and even though I guessed the murderer quite soon I still really enjoyed the story and couldn’t put it down.
SmileX

2 comments:

  1. These books all sound pretty gripping! It's been awhile since I read a thriller--thanks for reviewing them so that I have some choices when I feel the urge to read one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all sound very interesting! I recently got The Teashop on the Corner as well but haven't started it yet. But I want to check the other ones out too. My TBR pile is growing and growing! :)

    ReplyDelete