Tuesday, 24 March 2015

Book Club.. Where I had 3 slices of cake and remembered the feeling of not doing my homework.

 

agatha christie

Last night was book club, this months read was Murder on the Orient Express. I’ve had a copy of this on my book shelves for years but have never read this or in fact any Agatha Christie novels, nor have I ever seen any on the TV, so I was looking forward to it. I made the mistake of thinking that I would leave the reading of this till nearer the time of the meeting as it’s a pretty thin book and wouldn't take long to read. Fail.

Agatha Christie apparently rode The Orient and fell in love with it, and fans are said to go on it to check out the detail in the book. I also read that part of the plot was picked up from some headlines at the time.

My plan of reading at the weekend was foiled when I was called in to cover at work, so I lost 8 hours of what would have been reading time. I won’t make that mistake again. I remembered the feeling of not having my homework to hand in.  The most annoying part being I am actually really enjoying the book.

I wasn’t the only one to not finish it though, in fact only 2 members had finished it, and this is bad for spoilers, you can’t really discuss a ‘whodunit’ properly without giving away parts of the plot.

I ate far too much cake. And cookies. And now I can’t find my copy of the book, I must have left it on the table there. Or it could be in the car. I love that copy, it’s really old and with yellowing pages.. Luckily I had another copy (see pic) that I found under my chair (Yep I’m one of those people). When I finish it I will include it in my next recent reads post.

So you could say this book club meeting pretty much sucked. Apart from the fact that we introduced a new member, the cake was delicious the tea bottomless and we all had a very good gossip, and really in;t that all part of what a book club is about?

SmileX

5 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, tea, cake and the chat are what we all go for. (at my knit and natter group)
    The knitting is inconsequential really. I've never read any of her books either but loved the films, MOTOE and Death on The Nile, both with wonderful casts. I have that homework feeling every week and always leave my French studies until the 11th hour before my lesson...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like my sort of book club! :) I've always avoided joining a book club as I hate the feeling of not having done my homework - I guess there are some things we never grow out of. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to join a book club but fear I would not be able to keep up bc I'm so busy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I love the sound of this book club :) FREE CAKE?! where do I sign up? I would be the one who didn't finish the book either though I've been getting a lot better at that lately. I love old books with yellowing pages--they are always my favorite, too. And I haven't read Agatha Christie in ages; I'll have to add this one to my list. Thanks! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like way too much fun! I'm definitely intrigued in Agatha Christie's books...not going to lie, but it's mostly because she was a part of one of the weirdest Doctor Who episodes. Cake, tea, and gossip sounds like a perfectly fun day!

    ReplyDelete