Thursday, 16 April 2015

The Gym Diaries #1


gym3
After all my talk of getting fit I’ve gone and done it. I joined the gym. I have only ever belonged to a gym once in my life for a period of about 6 months, it was a local, small place where I visited a couple of times a week to get ‘Courtney Cox arms’ for my wedding day. Since then, that gym closed, several others have opened up in town, and then there’s the local leisure centre which is a five minute walk away, but to be honest and at the risk of sounding like a complete snob, I just don’t like them. I don’t like the atmosphere, the decor, the cold water in the pool, the uncomfortable changing rooms.
Then my friend took me on a guest pass to her gym. It’s just outside town, it’s more than double the price of the local ones, but as soon as I walked in I knew I liked it. All the staff are super friendly, the place is clean, the atmosphere relaxed and there’s a separate changing area for children which it has to be said was appealing. I thought about joining for a couple of months before I took the plunge. I went over it in my head with all the ‘why don’t I just get my bike out and walk more’ and then there was the expense. Then I decided that at 42yrs old, I don’t have to justify it to anyone.
It’s a David Lloyd Leisure Complex, and it’s so much more than a Gym. Mr D laughingly says I’ve joined a cult. But he’s never been so how would he understand. It’s a whole different world to the gyms I’ve seen in the past. I have a peak membership, which pretty much means I can go anytime, as many times as I like, and visit the pools, (inside and outside) jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and the hundred million studio classes that take place every week, from body balance, to spin to everything in between, as well as the very high tech Gym. Then there’s the ‘healthy eating’ seminars. And I plan too. Do everything that is.
The first week of my membership I was ill, but I did drag myself to the steam room a couple of times and the Gym once. This week I started looking at the studio classes. I settled on Body Pump. Which my friend failed to tell me involves lifting weights, to music. Oh. One class down, one tomorrow. I’m hoping my aching muscles will allow me to actually lift the weight tomorrow. The class was pretty full, of people who obviously knew what they were doing, and then there was me. Luckily the instructor recognised me as a newbe and made it clear that I wasn’t expected to keep up with the others, that I could use the lightest weights and even rest now and then, which I did without feeling like a complete numpty. I just kept telling myself they were all in my position once. When I think back to all the times I ‘rested’ I’m so thank full that I did, as my body has been hurting in places I didn’t know existed. Goodness knows what I would be like if I’d really tried to keep up. Probably crippled.
So more Body Pump tomorrow, then Next week I’m trying out Dance Fit. Dancing, well I like dancing, how hard can it be….
SmileX

4 comments:

  1. Good on you Claire. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you girl!!

    I do body pump two to three days a week and it's killer. You see results quick. I've been doing that for a year and a half and I've developed a wicked upper body strength from it.

    If they have it as well, try Body shred (Jillian Michaels). It sucks doing it but you feel amazing afterwards and again, the results are phenomenal. :)

    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa I'm aching even thinking about it!! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!!! I am absolutely loving your Facebook updates. ;) I know once Penelope is born, I'll have to start up with something and I'm kind of dreading it. My recent walks have only highlighted how out of control my ass and thighs have gotten. Lots of chaffing. HA!

    ReplyDelete