Saturday, 30 May 2015

The London Coffee Festival



I was a bit excited when a friend told me she had a spare ticket for The London Coffee Festival last month, although I’m a tea girl at heart, I thought it seemed like a cool place to go, I looked on you tube and their Facebook page and thought yes, I could go there amongst the coffee addicts, have some free samples, walk amongst the cool happening coffee scene in the trendy Brick Lane area of London.
I’m no coffee expert. I know how to make a good espresso, as long as the coffee beans are provided and the grinder is set up for me to push the button. I’m practising a bit of a pattern in the top of my Lattes (although they are usually a pattern unique to me…) and I know the difference between ‘wet’ and ‘dry’ foam on your Cappuccino. But I don’t know anything about the technicalities of grinding and roasting which of course is all important when it comes to a good cup of coffee. I’m also a girl who will ask for a Latte now and again, but although I know when I don’t like certain coffee brands I wouldn’t be very good at explaining why I don’t like it. I just don’t.


We went on a Saturday. With the rest of the coffee connoisseurs of London. The building in Brick Lane is like a huge old warehouse, with lots of rooms for displaying all manor of coffee related products, from machines, to beans, to milk made from anything but dairy it seems.
It was busy. Shoulder to shoulder busy. It’s actually times like this I know that I could quite easily be a hermit. Not that the hoards of people were doing anything wrong, everyone was very friendly and polite all queuing for the various samples which were mostly shots of iced coffee which I just don’t get, Coffee should be hot.  If I made a cup of coffee at home and forgot about it, I would heat it up again, I wouldn’t drink it anyway. But back to the people. They were there. All of them. In my way.
I bought some Little Coffee Bags which I had never heard of before but have actually been on Dragon’s Den I’ve since found out, but I thought not only look cool (it’s all about the packaging dearie) but are a great idea for a good cup of coffee while away on our adventures.
We watched some of the Latte art competition. Who knew it’s a whole world of tense Barista’s trying to out ‘heart’ each other. It did make me go to work and have a go though. Need more practice.
:)X


2 comments:

  1. How interesting! I didn't know that there were coffee festivals, but I probably should have. (There are festivals for everything.) Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to have come to this! I am a coffee junkie and drink buckets of the stuff, including cold! I have a permanent bucket of coffee on my desk in work and drink it when it cools down, then it gets refilled. I think I would look like I'm in a coma if I didn't drink it anymore :-) xx

    ReplyDelete