Tuesday, 16 June 2015

My new found love of Breakfast in the shape of Berries


I've never been much of a breakfast person, unless it's a day when the Mr and I search out a little local cafe for a full English. The most I would have would be a cup of tea (actually don't talk to me before I've got one in my hand) then It would get to mid morning and I would be desperate for a hit of something, so a slice of cake or toast and jam would be on the menu. Last winter I discovered porridge which I would top with honey or sugar.
Now I've decided to get healthy in my ....aherm... approaching middle age-ness... I've discovered the beauty of making sure I eat breakfast.
The above picture is my typical breakfast every day. I'm eating berries and really feeling the benefits.
Blueberries, which I have never been keen on, are my new friend. I've read that these little things are a good source of vitamin K. They also contain vitamin C, fibre, manganese and other antioxidants some nutritionists even believe that if you make only one change to your diet, it should be to add blueberries.
I've noticed that these are quite expensive little things, but I'm sucking it up and I think it's worth it.
Who can resist a strawberry? In season these can be fairly cheap, or you can often buy them from local farms making them tasty and cheap. Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamins C and K as well as providing a good dose of fibre, folic acid, manganese and potassium. And who can resist that lovely red colour?
I've started adding blackberries to my bowl, but just a few. Blackberries are another fruit I've never eaten as a berry. Blackberry pie? Yes please but never have I bought them off the shelf, Blackberries are low in calories, virtually fat free, high in fiber and rich in nutrients.
Then there's raspberries. Mr has always loved raspberries, and I've now learnt not to keep them in the fridge, they taste much better at room temperature. 
They are rich in B-complex group of vitamins and vitamin K. The berries contain very good amounts of vitamin B-6, niacin, riboflavin, and folic acid. These vitamins are function as co-factors and help body in the metabolism of carbohydrates, protein, and fats. Again these are high in antioxidants.
They contain a good amount of minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, iron and magnesium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure. Copper is required in the production of red blood cells.
I always spoon a dollop of yoghurt on the top of my berries, and no I don't go for the low fat variety. I just go for the one I like the taste of. Then I do like a bit of crunch in the shape of granola.
Eating a good bowl of these for breakfast definitely sets me up for the day, I find I don't have to snack before lunch like I used to. In fact to be honest I used to spend most of the day snacking and not enough eating proper balanced meals.
I'd be interested to know if you eat berries?
:)

5 comments:

  1. I think most things taste better at room temperature...strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, cider! I buy blueberries when they are cheap in Aldi, but they can be pricey. I can't function without tea first thing and also several cups throughout the day...which my dentist berates me for. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really must try and change my breakfast pattern. That looks really scummy. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you go! You're on quite the kick and I'm impressed. Great of job girl! ;)

    I like most berries. Haven't tried blackberries though or bumble berries but my faves are strawberries and blueberries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would eat berries ALL DAY if they weren't so expensive!

    Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fresh berries and I would so eat them ALL the time if they weren't so expensive! Luckily I live in Florida so strawberries are fairly cheap for a few months out of the year! My favorite is berries, yogurt, and granola. So tasty and somewhat healthy! I love raspberries too but I seem to end up not eating them quick enough before they get yucky!

    ReplyDelete