Wednesday, 3 June 2015

The Gym Diaries #2

I'm now in my third month of membership at my gym, and I have to confess I'm loving it. I have become one of those people with the annoying FB status telling you when I've been or when I'm going to do my squats/push ups and posting pictures of my gym feet as above. And do you know what? I love it. So I don't care if my friends get annoyed. Thats what the un friend button is for right?


I've tried a good portion of the studio classes now, favorites being Body Balance (a mixture of Yoga, Pilate and Ti chi) I'm now able to get my body into positions I never thought possible, but still have a long long way to go. One day I may be able to do that full back bend. For now I'm happy not to be falling flat on my face during divers pose..
Usually I will combine two classes back to back, so a stretch Body Balance then a work out like CX (core strength...I can actually do crunches now without hurting my neck which must mean I'm doing them correctly!) or Body Pump. Body Pump is the most motivating class there is, the sound track and choreography just makes you want to get it done. I'm still on the smallest weights for bench pressing (which kills me but maybe not so much) but I've added more weight for all the others and can now complete the lunge track with weight on my bar which is a huge achievement as I couldn't carry any weight when I started. Lunges are the devil. Oh and biceps curls. And overhead presses. Hmm.


We did have one epic fail, which was dance fit. Dance fit is not the Jane Fonda style aerobic fun class of yesteryear. Dance fit is like a room filled with Madonna's backing dancers at a Stadium concert. All layered neon dance school attire. And it's never a good idea to join this class on the last week of a 6 week run. You will fail. And bump into people. I stayed till the end though, that was the longest hour of my life. My gym buddy left after ten minutes but I was not giving in. I just smiled and had fun. And they didn't throw me out, even though they probably wanted to.

I'm now a confident grown up and go to some classes without my gym buddy. 
I have been going about 3-4 times a week for double classes and today we are going swimming. 
You may be wondering if it's all worth it, and yes I would say it definitely is. I feel healthier than I've felt for years. My body doesn't hurt like it did, I no longer wake up in pain in the middle of the night, I have more energy and feel less tired than I did before my gym journey.

You can read the first of my Gym Diaries post here.

:)X

5 comments:

  1. Well done - I do a regular Pilates class, and can't believe how much better I feel. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh God, you are putting me to shame. I haven't been for weeks and I don't even know what half of those moves are. I'm going to have to do something about my stomach tho...otherwise I'll be getting one of those 'apron' things. The classes seem really fast paced though and I'm worried I won't keep up so I just do my thing on the treadmill and free weights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what? You gotta do what's best for YOU. Forget everyone else and if people find your posts annoying, sod off to them. ;)

    I'm so proud of you, you've come so far in just a short three months. Do you find yourself singing BP tracks in your head all the time now? I know I do; they're catchy tunes.

    Who cares if you were a flailing-bumping-into-people mess - at least you stuck with it, committed and KEPT MOVING!! Good for you. :) I'm so happy for you. Once you get hooked, it's an AMAZING feeling, isn't it????

    :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire... I've fallen off the gym wagon :( And the eating healthy. Help me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually put cognac in my tea,I love it esp. during the difficult days, my grandmas secret, she lived to be 92 :)

    ReplyDelete