Friday, 21 August 2015

The Gym Diaries #3


It’s been 4 and a half months since I joined my Gym. I thought it was time for an update on my progress.
I’ve definitely got my favourite classes. And instructors. There are no bad instructors at my gym, but they all have their different ways of teaching the same routine and I like that.
I don’t have a ‘favourite spot’. I know that’s strange as I notice people in the same spots all the time. Those that want to be at the back, and those that want to be smack bang in front of the instructor. Speaking typing of which, purleeeeease STAGGER yourselves. If I was an instructor, I would make that happen. Most annoying thing ever. Because if I smack you in the arm during those iron crosses, that’s probably your fault. Also if someone comes in that few minutes late? MOVE your matt! Just a couple of inches will do it. Be an adult. Make room!
Shall we talk about putting the equipment away? How hard is it exactly to put the weights on the correct rack? For some people apparently it’s impossible. And putting it away before the class is over? Oh god I want to trip them up.
It may sound like I’m being grumpy but honestly I’m still loving my Gym membership. I average 7-8 classes a week, and the classes are an hour long with the exception of CX which is half an hour. Because honestly? Who wants to do an hour class of crunches and planks.
You may (or may not) be wondering if I’ve lost any weight with all these classes and I can tell you in the 4 and a half months I’ve lost just over half a stone. But more importantly than that, I have changed shape. My hips/waist are definitely smaller and my arms are definitely more toned. Enough for people to notice. My balance/flexibility has improved no end, and I feel so much stronger and healthier. I never used to be able to touch the floor in a forward fold, or touch my toes sitting down. I’m able to move through several warrior positions without feeling like I’m going to fall flat on my face.
I’ve just started to up my weights again in Pump. I’m squatting with 4x the weight I started out with, I did up my bench press weight last week which I was really proud of, then they sneakily changed the routine and I thought I was going to die. But I did it. I never thought my bicep weight would change but I upped it a bit this week, yes I did it, yes my biceps have hurt since.
In short everything is getting easier or even doable. Planks were something I never thought was in my reach and press ups? Not a chance in hell. Now I can do some, if not all of the set. As for triceps push ups well I can at least do them which is a bonus.
I’m starting to feel like my up coming holiday walking in Cumbria is going to be a bit of a difference experience to the last few. (Picture me whining and moaning going up the hills and the Mr encouraging me with the promise of chocolate)


Go here and here for more Gym Diary posts.
:)X


8 comments:

  1. ah you go girl!! I need to be more motivated to go to the gym

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds brilliant! I could really do with getting fit, toning up and losing a bit of weight but I don't have the time/money/energy for a gym, and I such an introvert and so socially uncomfortable (inept) I'd hate exercising in a group! I'd love to have a home gym, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. I'm planning on joining a gym in the next couple weeks, so this gives me even more motivation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire I am SOOOOO proud of you, every time I see one of your gym posts is makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're doing a fabulous job AND enjoying yourself girl. Good job! I'm proud of you upping the weights in BP - that's impressive momma!
    I have the same beefs at the gym as you. Staggering the mats is imperative or You WILL hurt someone.

    Have a great weekend Hun xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seven or eight classes a week!!! That's impressive, well done you.
    Have no idea about warrior positions or planks but I did do a body conditioning class last week as well as two other gym visits and my exercise video. Trouble is, I come home and eat half a packet of jaffa cakes! Still haven't made it to BP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried a Pump trial class, it was only 15 minutes instead of the usual 60 and I swear to god, I peed my pants the next morning because I could not sit on the toilet fast enough. I just don't know what 60 minutes would do to me. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In reality, no one ever finishes a workout with the feeling of regret you would have if you DIDN'T work out. Doing something physical like running, yoga or lifting weights leaves one with a powerful and almost intoxicating dose of endorphins. Never give up, never quit. As long as you are making exercise a priority, you will do great on your walkabout!

    Isaac Bush @ Orange Theory Fitness Folsom

    ReplyDelete