Monday, 11 January 2016

The Gym Diaries #4



Time for a  gym progress update?
8 months ago I realised I was in my 40's and was on the slippery slope to gaining weight, feeling unhealthy and generally not being at all happy how things were going with my health.
So I signed over my soul to David Lloyd. It was a decision that took me a couple of months to come to. Because I'm not going to lie, it is expensive.
However in this case I do believe I get what I pay for. The choice and times of classes are plentiful and as I work weird irregular hours this is great for me. I love the fact that whatever time I go to the gym the changing rooms are being cleaned. I love the fact there is a separate area in the changing rooms for parents with children (with special changing/cot facilities), and actually one area that says
 adult only.
The same goes for the café area. Whilst there is one large area for the parents to let the children run around in the soft play or plug in/watch TV (there is even a cinema room) there is another area separate to the main café with sliding doors that say adults only. This sort of thing to me is worth paying for.
So lets get down to the nitty gritty of it.
I try to go to as many classes as I can. It varies. Take this week. Today I did an hour of Body Pump. Tomorrow (Tues) I'm booked in for Body Balance. Wed I'm not booked in to any classes as I am busy but I may go swimming. Thurs I'm booked in for Body Balance and then Friday it's Body Pump again. I'm not planning to go at the weekend. I haven't done CX since my vertigo troubles,(lots of lying down in that) but as I feel that's getting pretty under control I may try that next week.
In the 8 months since I joined I've lost about 9/10 pound give or take. I don't weigh myself regularly as I don't think that's healthy and I don't want to obsess about the numbers. People tell me I look like I've lost a lot more weight than I actually have, and I do feel like that. My body has changed shape, and that is what I wanted. My hips, thighs and arse are smaller. Lets face it, that's a huge plus. My waist is a bit better but I am trying to get to grips with all the core exercises. 8 months ago I could not do 2 crunches without my back lifting off the floor. Now I can do the whole track (but it hurts!) I couldn't hold a plank position for longer than a few seconds without putting my knees on the floor and now I can even do that for the minute.
I feel healthier, and I have no regrets about joining up. I would recommend anyone to try joining a gym when a year ago I was one of those people that couldn't understand why you would pay for someone to shout at you in a room.
Do you go to a gym?



5 comments:

  1. They look like instruments of torture in that photo lol!! Adults only sounds perfect to me, but why would anyone take children to a gym anyway?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't been to Body Pump since October. Must admit I found listening to the same old music repetitive and boring and was irritated by some of the other attendees' supercilious attitudes to my lack of co-ordination and ability to manage heavier weights! ha. I still go to the gym and do my own thing tho...perhaps I will give it another try sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done in continuing at the gym and the benefits you have gained from it. I hated PE at school so it would very difficult to get me in a gym! I have noticed I am fitter now our dog walks are longer and living up a steep hill - does that count? Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So proud of you Hun. I'm sure in time, the vertigo will go away, even if it does take a bloody long time to get lost.
    So happy and so proud of ya lady!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy that i found you.
    Nice greetings from austria
    Your new follower
    Kuni

    ReplyDelete