Tuesday, 26 January 2016

When a book lets you down..

I first became aware of the women of The Chocolate Lovers Club when the book was chosen for my book club read, you can read the post about it here.
We all enjoyed it, which was surprising as there are some readers in the club who would never ever pick up such a chic lit off the shelf. We had a good time discussing the characters of the book, and confessed if we could relate to them.
So when I saw this on the shelf at Christmas I suggested it for the next read, being a Christmas themed book and characters who were familiar to all of us, I thought it would be a nice easy read over the holiday period.
Well I just finished it and I can’t say I enjoyed it. It was a struggle.
The characters, those women we got to know before, they mostly annoyed the hell out of me. How can anyone e so gullible and honestly how can anyone eat SO much chocolate. I like chocolate, I have a sweet tooth, but I actually felt sick from reading about the quantities consumed by these women.
If it hadn’t been a book club read I don’t think I would have finished it. Life is too short to read rubbish books. I feel bad though, like I’m being mean to a friend, (actually I also feel like a friend has let me down if I’ve been looking forward to reading a book and then don’t enjoy it) but I don’t think I will be buying the next instalment. I think me and The Chocolate Lovers Club may be 'on a break'.

Do you finish books if you don’t enjoy them?

6 comments:

  1. I used to feel like I HAD to finish a book if I started it but several years ago I gave myself permission to stop. Life is too short to make yourself do something that you aren't enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do always finish a book, even if it's not a great one. I think I'm afraid of missing something - it might get good at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always used to struggle through books even if I wasn't very keen on them! I know as Louise mentions that some books get better as your go along, but in the last couple of years I have thought life is too short and will now stop reading them. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh -- don't you just hate it when the book you suggests to book club isn't as good as you were hoping it was! I've done that before and I just hate it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I have had a lot of books let me down, which is sadly... Why I really don't read that much anymore! :( I cannot even remember the last time I read a FULL BOOK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to always finish whatever I started to read, but now I just don't want to waste my reading time on something that I'm not enjoying. There are so many other options. Like you, though, I would have kept reading since it was a book club selection.

    ReplyDelete