Wednesday, 22 June 2016

Books are a Uniquely Portable Magic


So said Stephen King.
Except when you read as much as me and need to take them on many adventures.
I am never without a book. There is always one in my hand bag where ever I go. I read in between jobs, on tea and lunch breaks, on trains. I fact I would say the only place I never read is in on the toilet. That is definitely a man thing.
As you may know I am in the midst of a de-clutter and with this came the rather heart wrenching task of sorting out my book collection. I may be in the minority for book lovers here but I can tell you that although I was in the habit of keeping my books, I have never ever ever read a book more than once. No matter how much I love it I just don't really get the whole re reading thing.
So I had a cull.
I won't lie to you though, there is still a pile of TBR's on my desk. (And maybe one in the bedroom...aherm...)
Lets be honest, they take up a lot of space, these books, and so after a year of humming and harring and trying to decide if I would go to book lovers hell in a hand basket, I did it.
I bought a Kindle Paper white.
I've read several books on my kindle now and am in a position to tell you that I'm happy.
The advantages are, the paper white is nice and thin, taking up less space in my bag. I can take lots of books with me now on adventures and have more room for other essentials..umm...like Gin.
The paper white is back lit so I can read it in the dark without a light (great for nights around the camp fire) and also this is great for sunny days when you can't normally see the screen.
I don't think I will stop reading actual books, but this is definitely a good thing for the place I'm in right now.
Do you have a Kindle? If not can we still be friends?




4 comments:

  1. I'm still firmly in the real books only camp! I wouldn't find it easy to read on a kindle I don't think and I just like real books, even if they do take up a lot of space! I had a big book cull a few weeks ago and it felt good (though it wasn't easy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a kindle and love it but I still read more books without it! It is great on holiday and if I wake during the night and don't want to disturb hubby! So we can still be friends! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im still a book fan but I can see the pro's when travelling. I just dont travel enought to justify purchasing one. We can still be friends, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fairly good article and very pleased to have found this site on Google.
    Life in London

    ReplyDelete